Calculating Tension on a Ramp with Inclined Load and Friction

The coefficient of friction is used to calculate the maximum possible frictional force, not the actual force experienced. In summary, the tension in the rope needed to prevent the sack from sliding down the ramp is 204.6 N, but this does not take into account the frictional force.
songoku

Homework Statement

A sack of weight 600 N is being loaded on to a truck up a ramp inclined at 18o to the horizontal. A rope attached to the sack is held at an angle of 25o to the ramp. The coefficient of friction between the sack and the ramp is 0.3. What tension in the rope is needed:
a. To prevent the sack from sliding down the ramp.
b. To pull the sack up the ramp at a steady speed

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

The manual wrote the answer for (a) is 18.2 N. I can't find it. My work for (a) :

W sin 18o = T cos 25o

T = 204.6 N

What am I missing ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not taken into account the frictional force while calculating T.

Hi rl.bhat

Oh my god...I thought there is no friction because it didn't move. That was a very stupid mistake. Thanks a lot !

songoku said:
I thought there is no friction because it didn't move.

Of course there is - it's called static friction.

1. What is "kinematics about ramp"?

"Kinematics about ramp" is a branch of physics that involves the study of motion on inclined surfaces, such as ramps or hills. It focuses on the mathematical description of the motion of objects and how they interact with the ramp's surface.

2. How is the motion of an object on a ramp different from motion on a flat surface?

The motion of an object on a ramp is different from motion on a flat surface because the ramp's incline changes the object's acceleration and velocity. The object's weight and the angle of the ramp affect the forces acting on the object, resulting in different patterns of motion.

3. What factors affect an object's motion on a ramp?

The factors that affect an object's motion on a ramp include the ramp's angle, the object's weight, and the amount of friction between the ramp and the object. These factors influence the forces acting on the object and determine its acceleration and velocity.

4. How do you calculate the velocity of an object on a ramp?

The velocity of an object on a ramp can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh sinθ), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the ramp, and θ is the angle of the ramp. This formula takes into account the object's weight and the angle of the ramp to determine its velocity.

5. Can an object move at a constant velocity on a ramp?

Yes, an object can move at a constant velocity on a ramp if the forces acting on the object are balanced. This means that the object is not accelerating, and its velocity remains constant throughout its motion on the ramp. However, this is only possible if there is no friction between the object and the ramp's surface.