Plate Capacitor: Find Voltage with 4\muC & 0.4m2 Area

In summary, the plates of a capacitor with an area of 0.4m2 and separated by a distance of 0.5 micrometers, and with air as the dielectric material with a dielectric constant of 1.0, have a capacitance of 8.85E-12 and a charge of 4\muC on one plate. The voltage across the capacitor can be calculated using the equation \DeltaV=q/C, with the capacitance found using the equation C=\epsilon(A/d). The calculations may be difficult to interpret due to the format used on the website.
ZeroCool024

Homework Statement

The plates of a capacitor have an area of 0.4m2 and are separated by a distance of 0.5 micrometers. The material between the two plates is air with a dielectric constant of 1.0 One plate of the capacitor is given the charge of 4[tex]\muC[/tex]. The voltage across the capacitor is, in volts:

Homework Equations

C=[tex]\epsilon[/tex](A/d) C=q/[tex]\Delta[/tex]V

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've been trying to calculate the capacitance with the first equation and then use the second equation for finding the change in voltage. I keep coming up with the wrong answer, though. Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your calculations.

(.4m2/.5[tex]\mu[/tex]m)x8.85E-12=C

C=q/[tex]\Delta[/tex]V
[tex]\Delta[/tex]V=q/C=4[tex]\mu[/tex]C/Capacitance

I just looked at my calculations and cnai just say sorry if they are a little garbled. I'm having trouble getting used to the way you do calculations on the website. Let me know if you would like me to do them again. Thanks!

1. How do I calculate the voltage of a plate capacitor with a charge of 4\muC and an area of 0.4m2?

To calculate the voltage of a plate capacitor, you can use the formula V = Q/A, where V is the voltage, Q is the charge, and A is the area. Simply plug in the values given (4\muC for Q and 0.4m2 for A) and solve for V. In this case, the voltage would be 10\muC/m2.

2. Can the voltage of a plate capacitor be negative?

Yes, the voltage of a plate capacitor can be negative. This occurs when the positive and negative charges on the plates are switched, resulting in a negative voltage. However, in most cases, the voltage of a plate capacitor is positive.

3. What is the unit of measurement for voltage in a plate capacitor?

The unit of measurement for voltage in a plate capacitor is volts (V). This is a unit of electric potential or potential difference between two points in an electric field.

4. How does the distance between the plates affect the voltage of a plate capacitor?

The distance between the plates of a plate capacitor directly affects the voltage. As the distance increases, the voltage decreases, and vice versa. This is because the electric field strength between the plates decreases as the distance increases, resulting in a lower voltage.

5. Can the area of the plates affect the voltage of a plate capacitor?

Yes, the area of the plates can affect the voltage of a plate capacitor. The voltage is directly proportional to the area, meaning that as the area increases, the voltage increases, and vice versa. This is because a larger area allows for more charge to be stored, resulting in a higher voltage.