Finding the Area of a Polar Function: Are Your Limits of Integration Correct?

In summary, the question is asking for the area of one petal of the polar function r(x) = cos(5x). The correct limits of integration are pi/10 and -pi/10. The relevant equation is integral[alpha to beta] .5*r(x)^2dx, where r(x) = cos(5x). The solution is 1/4x - (sin(5x)/20) from pi/10 to -pi/10, with the correct integrand being cos(5x)^2 = (1+cos(5x))/2.
Bryon
My question here is do I have the correct limits of integration? At first I thought it would be from pi/10 to 3pi/10 but I have a feeling that those are incorrect.

Homework Statement

Find the area of one petal of the polar function r(x) = cos(5x)

Homework Equations

integral[alpa to beta] .5* r(x)^2dx

The Attempt at a Solution

cos(5x) = 0 when x = (1/5)*pi/2 = pi/10
This means that the limits of integration are pi/10 and -pi/10

integral (.5*cos(5x))dx = 1/4x - (sin(5x)/20) from pi/10 to -pi/10

Physics news on Phys.org
Bryon said:
My question here is do I have the correct limits of integration? At first I thought it would be from pi/10 to 3pi/10 but I have a feeling that those are incorrect.

Homework Statement

Find the area of one petal of the polar function r(x) = cos(5x)

Homework Equations

integral[alpa to beta] .5* r(x)^2dx

The Attempt at a Solution

cos(5x) = 0 when x = (1/5)*pi/2 = pi/10
This means that the limits of integration are pi/10 and -pi/10
Yes, these are correct.
Bryon said:
integral (.5*cos(5x))dx = 1/4x - (sin(5x)/20) from pi/10 to -pi/10

You have it in your relevant equations, but you forgot to square r(x) in the integral just above. Or maybe you just forgot to put in the exponent in your integrand.

Oops...sorry cos(5x)^2 = (1+cos(5x))/2

Thanks! for some reason I was thinking it was between pi/10 and 3pi/10.

Bryon said:
Thanks! for some reason I was thinking it was between pi/10 and 3pi/10.

That would work too. :)

1. What is the formula for calculating the area of a polar function?

The formula for finding the area of a polar function is A = ½∫abr2(θ) dθ, where r(θ) represents the polar function and a and b represent the starting and ending angles, respectively.

2. How is the area of a polar function different from the area of a rectangular function?

The main difference between the area of a polar function and a rectangular function is the shape of the region being measured. A rectangular function measures the area of a rectangle, while a polar function measures the area of a sector or segment of a circle.

3. What is the significance of the starting and ending angles when calculating the area of a polar function?

The starting and ending angles determine the portion of the polar function that is being measured. They represent the boundaries of the region being calculated and are crucial in determining the correct area.

4. Can the area of a polar function be negative?

No, the area of a polar function cannot be negative. It represents a physical quantity, and a negative area would not make sense in this context. If the integral yields a negative result, it is likely due to a calculation error and should be double-checked.

5. Are there any special cases when calculating the area of a polar function?

Yes, there are a few special cases when calculating the area of a polar function. For example, if the polar function intersects the origin, the area must be calculated as two separate integrals. Additionally, if the polar function is symmetric about the x-axis, the integral can be simplified by doubling the result of the integral from 0 to the point of intersection with the x-axis.