Leaving Academia for Industry: Is a PhD Necessary?

In summary, the person is currently working as an RA in applied maths and plans to have publications with industrial relevance in about a year. They are also enrolled as a PhD student but are considering leaving the academic lifestyle for industry. They are wondering if they should continue with their PhD, which would take at least another year, or if they should just focus on their current job and publications. They already have a M.Sc. from another university and are feeling frustrated with the slow progress of their research. They are considering waiting until their publications are complete before making a decision about leaving their current position.
topcomer
I have a job as a RA in applied maths, and in about 1 year will have a couple of publications with good/high industrial relevance. I'm currently enrolled as a PhD student as well, but haven't accomplished any of my graduate duties. I'm very annoyed with the academic lifestyle and want to move to industry afterwards, so I wonder whether I should eventually get the PhD or not. I expect that dissertation&courses will take 1+ years in addition to my actual research, is it worth the bill?

PS Forgot to say that I already have a M.Sc. from another university.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
topcomer said:
I expect that dissertation&courses will take 1+ years in addition to my actual research, is it worth the bill?

It sounds to me like you want to give it up and go take a job in industry. If you're sure you dislike the academic lifestyle, then there perhaps isn't much point in continuing on with it - why stick in an unhappy situation when you have the freedom to leave? You can always apply for jobs and if you get one, take it. Otherwise, there are always difficult times in a PhD. Make sure you aren't just having a particularly low point - and make your decision about the PhD work itself, not the fact that you haven't been able to carry any out. Is it possible to restructure the things that you're doing so you can focus more on your graduate duties? Would you want to do it if it were?

fasterthanjoao said:
It sounds to me like you want to give it up and go take a job in industry. If you're sure you dislike the academic lifestyle, then there perhaps isn't much point in continuing on with it - why stick in an unhappy situation when you have the freedom to leave? You can always apply for jobs and if you get one, take it. Otherwise, there are always difficult times in a PhD. Make sure you aren't just having a particularly low point - and make your decision about the PhD work itself, not the fact that you haven't been able to carry any out. Is it possible to restructure the things that you're doing so you can focus more on your graduate duties? Would you want to do it if it were?

Thanks, a very good suggestion indeed. I'll wait until I'm done with the publications I'm preparing, then see if I still want to leave my current position. Maybe it's as you said, I'm realizing that our research is becoming old fashioned before being published and feel a little depressed at the moment..

3 months have passed and nothing has changed.. still want to leave. also because, according to my advisor, my PhD won't be over before 2012-3..

I understand your frustration with the academic lifestyle and your desire to move into industry. However, I would caution against making a decision solely based on your current feelings. Pursuing a PhD is a significant commitment and should not be taken lightly. It is important to carefully consider the potential benefits and drawbacks before making a decision.

Firstly, having a PhD can open up more opportunities in industry, as many companies prefer candidates with advanced degrees for certain positions. It also demonstrates a high level of expertise and dedication to a specific field, which can be valuable in the job market.

Furthermore, completing a PhD can also provide you with valuable skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and project management, which are highly sought after in industry. These skills can also help you advance in your career and potentially earn a higher salary.

On the other hand, pursuing a PhD can be a time-consuming and financially demanding process. It is important to assess whether the potential benefits outweigh the costs for your specific career goals.

Additionally, it is worth considering whether your current research experience and publications may be enough to secure a job in industry without a PhD. You may want to explore job opportunities and speak with professionals in your desired field to get a better understanding of their expectations and requirements.

Ultimately, the decision to pursue a PhD should be based on your long-term career goals and what will best position you for success in your desired industry. I would recommend discussing your options with your academic advisor and other professionals in your field before making a final decision.

What is the difference between academia and industry?

Academia refers to the world of research and teaching in universities and colleges, while industry refers to the private sector where research and development is done to create products or services for the market.

Is a PhD necessary to transition from academia to industry?

No, a PhD is not always necessary for a transition from academia to industry. Many companies value a combination of practical skills and experience, rather than just academic qualifications.

What skills does a PhD provide that are beneficial in industry?

A PhD provides advanced research skills, critical thinking, problem-solving abilities, and project management experience, all of which are highly valued in industry.

Can a PhD holder start at a higher position or salary in industry?

It is possible for a PhD holder to start at a higher position or salary in industry, but it ultimately depends on the individual's skills and experience, as well as the specific requirements of the job and company.

Are there any challenges in transitioning from academia to industry?

Yes, there can be challenges in transitioning from academia to industry, such as adjusting to a different work culture and expectations, learning new skills, and building a professional network outside of academia. However, with proper preparation and a positive attitude, these challenges can be overcome.