Applied Physics PhD v. Masters Engineering v. getting a job with BS

In summary, the conversation discusses the career path of a student graduating with a BS in Physics and their thoughts on pursuing a PhD. The student has experience in chemistry, biochemistry, and biophysics and enjoys hands-on problem solving and technical challenges. The academic in the conversation sees value in getting a PhD, but is unsure if it is necessary or desirable for a non-academic career. They discuss the possibility of entering a doctoral program after working in the real world and mention that it is not uncommon for people to do so. One person in the conversation has personal experience with this, as they spent time in industry before pursuing a PhD.
drb5252
Noob questions on behalf of my daughter, who graduates with a BS in Physics from a research uni next semester and has a decidedly deer-in-the-headlights approach to post-graduate career path. 3.3 GPA in a program with a fair bit of chemistry/biochem/biophysics experience (contemplated MD/PhD route but no longer interested), and working in a nanotech lab. Enjoys hands-on problem solving, technical challenges, non-academic career, good at math, not a programmer. I know this is vague but her interests are simply not that refined at this point. As an academic myself I see intrinsic value in spending the time in training that is required to get a PhD, but perhaps this is not necessary (or even desirable). However, I suspect it is relatively rare to enter a doctoral program after being out in the real world (correct me if i am wrong), and I'd hate to see that door shut if there is value to having a PhD in applied science.

Physics news on Phys.org
while I do not know the statistics, I went to grad school with several folks who worked a number of years after undergrad before going back to school. I also work with a lot of people who went back after working a few years. My company is often "losing" people to graduate school, although many times they come back when they are finished. The group i work in is losing one such person this fall. So not doing graduate work right out of undergrad does not automatically close any doors as far as I can tell.

jason

I spent time in industry before grad school, and I would estimate 1 or 2 people per entering class did. I know of one gentleman who retired, earned his PhD (at 55), and spent the rest of his working career as a physicist. (He was also the son of a famous academic)

1. What is the difference between an Applied Physics PhD and a Masters in Engineering?

An Applied Physics PhD is a research-based degree that focuses on the application of physics principles to solve real-world problems. It typically takes 4-6 years to complete and involves coursework, exams, and a dissertation. A Masters in Engineering, on the other hand, is a professional degree that focuses on the practical application of engineering principles. It typically takes 1-2 years to complete and involves coursework and a final project or thesis.

2. Which degree is more beneficial for getting a job in the field of applied physics or engineering?

Both a PhD in Applied Physics and a Masters in Engineering can lead to job opportunities in the field of applied physics or engineering. However, a PhD is typically preferred for research-based positions, while a Masters is more suitable for industry or practical applications. It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests.

3. Can I get a job with a BS in Applied Physics or Engineering?

Yes, a BS in Applied Physics or Engineering can lead to job opportunities in various fields such as research and development, product design, quality control, and technical consulting. However, having a higher degree like a Masters or PhD may increase your job prospects and earning potential in the long run.

4. What are the career prospects for someone with a PhD in Applied Physics or a Masters in Engineering?

Both a PhD in Applied Physics and a Masters in Engineering can open up a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, energy, healthcare, and telecommunications. Graduates can work as engineers, researchers, consultants, educators, and more.

5. Is it necessary to have a PhD or Masters in order to get a job in the field of applied physics or engineering?

No, a higher degree is not always necessary to get a job in the field of applied physics or engineering. Many companies also hire individuals with a BS in these fields and provide on-the-job training. However, having a higher degree may give you a competitive edge in the job market and can lead to higher positions and salaries.