Can a universe exist with no matter?

In summary: Just including space, time and energy, but no matter?energy is a kind of matter.The answer is no.i second answer no, because once you have space time and energy matter is a given.
Dremmer
Just including space, time and energy, but no matter?

Space news on Phys.org
energy is a kind of matter.

The answer is no.

i second answer no, because once you have space time and energy matter is a given.

but, i can easilly envision a kind of existence where there is no time, space or matter, but just energy.

Boy@n said:
i second answer no, because once you have space time and energy matter is a given.

but, i can easilly envision a kind of existence where there is no time, space or matter, but just energy.

Can you? Energy must act or move, which makes space necessary, and change in state means that time is necessary.

Dremmer said:
Just including space, time and energy, but no matter?

Given that the universe looks headed towards a heat death, then the answer seem yes.

Of course, there is the issue of the residual matter. Black holes might be able to sweep up and radiate away a lot of the remaining protons and electrons, but some would probably surely escape? And many more neutrinos.

But cosmologists like Charley Lineweaver seem comfortable with the idea of "just radiation" models where there is only the black body fizzle of photons between the event horizons of a de sitter spacetime.

The first moments of the big bang would also be matter-less? A relativistic plasma. Too hot for sub-light particles to actually "exist".

You need to define "exists."

If you mean create a mathematical model, then yes. If you mean make sense of it, then I doubt it.

Since mass and energy define each other the question is meaningless. Its a tautology similar to asserting that everything is made of "pure" energy (whatever that is!) You might as well ask how many angels can dance on the head of a pin for all the meaning we can glean from the question.

Well, you said "a" universe. A universe can have whatever laws of physics you give it. Therefore, a universe can exist without matter.

This really gets back to the question of whether something has meaningful existence if it is not perceived or is not capable of being perceived. The only sense as humans in which we can say anything exists is relative to our perception of it (or our ability to infer its existence through our perception.) Therefore, the question breaks down to, can a universe without matter have any observable impact on our universe? I would tend to say no.

1. Can a universe exist with no matter?

According to current scientific understanding, it is highly unlikely that a universe can exist with no matter. Matter is essential for the formation of stars, planets, and other celestial bodies, which are the building blocks of a universe. Without matter, it is difficult to imagine how a universe could come into existence.

2. What is the role of matter in the universe?

Matter plays a crucial role in the universe. It makes up all of the visible objects in the universe, including stars, planets, and galaxies. Matter also interacts with energy, giving rise to various physical phenomena and allowing for the existence of life.

3. Is there any evidence for a universe without matter?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of a universe without matter. All observations and experiments indicate the presence of matter in the universe. However, some theories propose the existence of exotic forms of matter, such as dark matter, that have not been directly detected yet.

4. What would a universe without matter look like?

It is difficult to imagine a universe without matter since our understanding of the universe is based on the presence of matter. Without matter, there would likely be no stars, galaxies, or planets. The universe may consist only of energy, but it is unclear how this energy would behave or interact without matter.

5. Can the laws of physics allow for a universe with no matter?

No, the laws of physics, as we currently understand them, require the presence of matter in the universe. Matter is necessary for the existence of gravity, which is a fundamental force in the universe. Furthermore, the laws of thermodynamics also require the presence of matter for the universe to exist in its current state.