Calculating Hill Height from Angle of Elevation: Trig Problem Solution

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the height of a hill using the angles of elevation from a ship offshore. The participants consider using the law of sines or cosines to solve for the height, and one suggests using the equations tan 1.1^0 = (x)/(1.5+y) and tan 1.4^0 = (x)/(y). They then ask for help with solving for x.
courtrigrad
Hello all:

I am stuck on this problem:

From a ship offshore, the angle of elevation of a hill is 1.1 degrees. After the ship moves inland at 4.5 knots for 20 min, the angle of elevation is 1.4 degrees. How high is the hill? (1 knor = i nautical mile per hour = 6080 feet approx)

I first drew a horizontal line. I know 20 min is 1/3 of an hour, so the ship traveled 1.5 knots inland. Basically I have a right triangle consisting of two triangles with the two angle of elevations, and also know that the length of one of the sides of a triangle is 1.5. How would I solve for the height? Would I use the law of sines or cosines?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]tan\ 1.1^0=\frac{x}{1.5+y}[/tex]
[tex]tan\ 1.4^0=\frac{x}{y}[/tex]
Solve for x.

Attachments

• Picture.GIF
    Picture.GIF
    1.3 KB · Views: 664
Last edited:

To solve this problem, we can use the trigonometric ratio tangent. Since we know the angle of elevation and the distance the ship has traveled, we can set up the following equation:

tan(1.1°) = height/x

Where x represents the distance from the shore to the base of the hill. We can solve for x by rearranging the equation to isolate x:

x = height/tan(1.1°)

Now, we need to find the value of height. To do this, we can use the second angle of elevation (1.4°) and the distance the ship has traveled (1.5 knots) to set up another equation:

tan(1.4°) = height/(x + 1.5)

We can substitute the value of x from the first equation into the second equation:

tan(1.4°) = height/(height/tan(1.1°) + 1.5)

Simplifying the equation, we get:

tan(1.4°) = tan(1.1°) * height + 1.5

Now, we can solve for height by isolating it on one side of the equation:

tan(1.4°) - 1.5 = tan(1.1°) * height

height = (tan(1.4°) - 1.5)/tan(1.1°)

Using a calculator, we can find that the height of the hill is approximately 767.7 feet. Therefore, the hill is about 767.7 feet tall.

I hope this helps! Remember to always label your triangles and use the correct trigonometric ratio for the given information. Good luck with your future trig problems!

What is the formula for calculating hill height from angle of elevation?

The formula for calculating hill height from angle of elevation is: hill height = distance from hill * tan(angle of elevation).

How do I measure the angle of elevation?

The angle of elevation can be measured using a clinometer or a protractor. The clinometer is a tool specifically designed for measuring angles of elevation and can be purchased at most scientific or outdoor supply stores. Alternatively, a protractor can be used by holding it up to the line of sight and measuring the angle from the horizontal.

What units should I use for the distance and angle of elevation in the formula?

The distance should be measured in the same units as the hill height that you want to calculate. For example, if you want to calculate the hill height in meters, then the distance should also be measured in meters. The angle of elevation is typically measured in degrees.

Can this formula be used for any type of hill or mountain?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of hill or mountain as long as the angle of elevation is measured from the horizontal line at the base of the hill. However, it should be noted that this formula assumes a flat surface between the observer and the base of the hill, so it may not be accurate for extremely steep or irregular terrain.

Are there any other factors to consider when using this formula?

Yes, there are a few other factors to consider when using this formula. First, the angle of elevation should be measured from the observer's eye level, not from the ground. Second, the distance should be measured from the observer to the base of the hill, not to the top of the hill. Finally, this formula assumes that the observer is standing on level ground, so it may not be accurate for situations where the observer is on a slope.