Volume flow and speed of the flow with different cross-sections and heights

In summary: Indeed and thanks for the help :biggrin:In summary, the conversation discussed the rankings of points on a pipe based on their volume flow rate, flow speed, and water pressure. The Bernoulli equation and the continuity equation were mentioned as relevant equations. The participants also discussed the influence of height and cross-section on flow speed and pressure. Ultimately, it was concluded that the points could be ranked as such: Point 1 > points 2 and 3 > point 4 for flow speed, and points 3 and 4 > points 1 and 2 for water pressure. The question was from a previous exam and the exact rankings could not be determined without more information. The conversation also touched on the concept of same height =
Ryker

Homework Statement

You have a pipe and 4 points on it. Points 1 and 2 are at h = 0, with point 1 having a smaller cross-section than point 2. Next, point 3 has the same cross-section as point 2, but the pipe goes up, so that h > 0. Point 4 is level with point 3, but has an even larger cross-section.

Rate the points according to:

1. The volume flow rate,
2. The flow speed.
3. The water pressure.

Homework Equations

The Bernoulli equation and the continuity equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

It's a been some weeks since we've covered this, and I just wanted to make sure I have the right idea.

1. The same everywhere.
2. Point 1 > points 2 and 3 > point 4. The difference in heights doesn't influence flow speed, if the area is the same, right?
3. Points 3 and 4 > points 1 and 2, because they are at the same height.

Is this correct? Thanks in advance.

Oh, and I know this one is really easy, but sometimes I just get sort of a mental block with getting some stuff I had already done, I don't know why. It's like I need to get past it and then everything flows smoothly again :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ryker! :wink:
Ryker said:
1. The same everywhere.
2. Point 1 > points 2 and 3 > point 4. The difference in heights doesn't influence flow speed, if the area is the same, right?

Right! :smile:
3. Points 3 and 4 > points 1 and 2, because they are at the same height.

You've missed something out …

have another look at Bernoulli's equation :wink:

tiny-tim said:
You've missed something out …
have another look at Bernoulli's equation :wink:
[tex]P\ +\ \frac{1}{2}\,\rho\,v^2\ +\ \rho\,g\,h\ =\ constant[/tex]

So from the equation, pressure at point 1 < pressure at point 2, because the speed at point 1 is greater. Also, since point 3 is higher than point 2, but the speed is equal, pressure at point 2 > pressure at point 3. And pressure at point 4 < pressure at point 3, because the speed is lower. But how can you then infer the proper order if you don't have the exact heights and cross-sections? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Oh, and same height = same pressure then only holds for standing water, I presume?

Hi Ryker! :wink:
Ryker said:
So from the equation, pressure at point 1 < pressure at point 2, because the speed at point 1 is greater. Also, since point 3 is higher than point 2, but the speed is equal, pressure at point 2 > pressure at point 3. And pressure at point 4 < pressure at point 3, because the speed is lower. But how can you then infer the proper order if you don't have the exact heights and cross-sections? Or is there something else I'm missing?

No, I agree with you. :smile:

(I suspect that they meant to ask the question with the pipe widths the other way round, so that it was 1 > 2 > 3 > 4, and got it wrong! :rolleyes:)
Oh, and same height = same pressure then only holds for standing water, I presume?

Well, for water at the same speed. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
No, I agree with you. :smile:

(I suspect that they meant to ask the question with the pipe widths the other way round, so that it was 1 > 2 > 3 > 4, and got it wrong! :rolleyes:)
Well, there was actually a picture, but I couldn't copy it here (it's in a .pdf file and I can't extract it), so it was indeed as I described. This question is actually from one of the previous exams, and I guess you can't quantify it better than that then, right? Which is kind of weird, because the question does specifically ask us to rank the points and indicate any ties.
tiny-tim said:
Well, for water at the same speed. :wink:
Yeah, and that :smile: I guess the mistake I made first was really silly of me. I mean, if the pressures were indeed the same, then what would we do with all of the Venturi meters?

Ryker said:
… if the pressures were indeed the same, then what would we do with all of the Venturi meters?

I'm sure we'd find somewhere to stick them! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
I'm sure we'd find somewhere to stick them! :biggrin:
Indeed and thanks for the help :biggrin:

What is volume flow?

Volume flow is the amount of fluid that passes through a given cross-section per unit time. It is typically measured in units like liters per second or cubic meters per hour.

How is volume flow related to the speed of the flow?

Volume flow and speed of the flow are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the speed of the flow increases, the volume flow also increases and vice versa.

How does the cross-section of a pipe affect the volume flow?

The cross-section of a pipe has a significant impact on the volume flow. A larger cross-section allows for a greater volume of fluid to pass through, resulting in a higher volume flow. Conversely, a smaller cross-section will limit the volume of fluid that can flow through.

How do changes in height affect the speed of the flow?

Changes in height, also known as changes in elevation, can affect the speed of the flow due to gravity. As the height increases, the potential energy of the fluid also increases, resulting in a higher speed of flow. Similarly, a decrease in height will result in a decrease in speed.

What is the equation for calculating volume flow?

The equation for calculating volume flow is Q = A * v, where Q is the volume flow, A is the cross-sectional area, and v is the speed of the flow. This equation shows the direct relationship between volume flow and speed of the flow with different cross-sections and heights.