Relevant Math Topics Ideal For Understanding Quantum Mechanics/Spectroscopy

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's plan to self-study for their undergraduate experience in science and pursue a double major in math and physics. They are interested in knowing which mathematical concepts would be beneficial to learn before studying quantum mechanics and whether mastering classical mechanics is advantageous for someone not interested in engineering large macroscopic systems. The expert suggests studying multivariable calculus, introductory linear algebra, and an introductory course on differential equations. They also recommend looking into group theory for tackling chemical problems in quantum mechanics and an intermediate classical mechanics course for familiarity with different formulations of mechanics. Overall, the expert emphasizes the importance of studying as much mathematics as possible.
unthinkabilit
Hey I'm in my first year of science and I plan on self studying for the majority of my undergrad experience.
I plan on going for a double mmajor math/phys

I like learning both (and chem too) and I want to know which mathematical concepts I would benefit from mastering before i began studying quantum mechanics.
I also wonder whether mastering classical mechanics has any advantages to someone who doesn't want to engineer large macroscopic systems.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At the very least, I would say Multivariable Calculus and an introductory Linear Algebra course. You can *almost* wing the rest. An introductory course on differential equations would also be good (although according to a theoretical chem professor I know, "I've never had to use diff eq since I studied it in college.")

Once you have the linear algebra down, it's probably worthwhile to look into group theory: it really makes it easier to tackle chemical problems in quantum mechanics. This is something you could probably teach yourself with the right textbook, e.g. "Group Theory and Chemistry" by David M. Bishop.

As far as classical mechanics go, an intermediate classical mechanics course would definitely be advantageous to gain familiarity with the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations of mechanics.

In short: study as much mathematics as you possibly can because it can never hurt! :)

thank you ever so much !

1) What is the significance of linear algebra in understanding quantum mechanics?

Linear algebra is essential in understanding quantum mechanics as it provides the mathematical framework for describing the behavior of quantum systems. The concept of state vectors and operators, which are fundamental to quantum mechanics, are represented using linear algebra. This allows for the calculation of probabilities and predictions of quantum phenomena.

2) How does calculus play a role in understanding spectroscopy?

Calculus is used in spectroscopy to analyze the absorption and emission of light by matter. The intensity of light at different wavelengths can be described using mathematical functions, which can be integrated to determine the area under the curve. This area corresponds to the amount of light absorbed or emitted, providing valuable information about the structure and composition of the material being studied.

3) Can complex analysis help in understanding quantum mechanics?

Yes, complex analysis is crucial in quantum mechanics as it allows for the description of wavefunctions, which represent the probability amplitudes of particles in quantum systems. The use of complex numbers and functions also enables the understanding of phenomena such as wave-particle duality and the uncertainty principle.

4) How is probability theory utilized in the study of quantum mechanics?

Probability theory is a fundamental tool in understanding quantum mechanics as it provides a mathematical framework for calculating the likelihood of events occurring in quantum systems. The wavefunction, which describes the probability of a particle's position and momentum, is derived from the principles of probability theory.

5) Why is group theory important in the study of symmetry in quantum mechanics?

Group theory is utilized in quantum mechanics to describe the symmetries present in physical systems. This is important as symmetries often correspond to conservation laws, which are fundamental principles in quantum mechanics. Group theory also helps in simplifying complex mathematical calculations and provides a deeper understanding of the underlying structure of quantum systems.