For which values of x does this series converge?

• Thread starter moxy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the original series \sum_{n=1}^{∞}{\frac{1}{(\frac{1}{x})^n + x^n}} converges when |x| > 1 and converges uniformly when |x| > 1 by the M-test. This can be shown by comparing the original series to other series and considering specific intervals of x. However, the series does not converge for x < 1 or x > 1, as shown by using a comparison argument with a similar series.
moxy

Homework Statement

For what real values of x does this series converge?

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{∞}{\frac{1}{(\frac{1}{x})^n + x^n}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've rewritten the series as [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{∞}{\frac{x^n}{1 + x^{2n}}}[/tex] and I know that I can make each term larger, say
[tex]{\frac{x^n}{1 + x^{2n}}} < {\frac{x^n}{x^{2n}}} = \left({\frac{x}{x^{2}}}\right)^n = \left(\frac{1}{x}\right)^n[/tex]

Then this will converge, by comparison to the geometric series, when |x| > 1. But surely this can't be a method for finding ALL values of x for which the original series converges, can it? Because I changed the series , so all I've found is the values of x for which [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{∞}{\frac{x^n}{x^{2n}}}[/tex] converges. How can I go about this in a different way?

Then there's the question of uniform convergence. Can I just use the M-test for both parts, and say that

[tex]\left|\frac{x^n}{1 + x^{2n}}\right| < \left|\frac{x^n}{x^{2n}}\right| = \left|\frac{1}{x}\right|^n = M_n[/tex]

so, [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{∞}{M_n} = \sum_{n=1}^{∞} \left|\frac{1}{x}\right|^n[/tex] converges uniformly when |x| > 1?

I just fear that I'm simplifying things too much and not getting ALL of the possible values of x such that the series converges. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
this problem might be well suited to a comparison

say 0<x<1, then for all n
[tex]
\frac{1}{x^n} + x^n > \frac{1}{x^n}
[/tex]

Hence
[tex]
\frac{1}{\frac{1}{x^n} + x^n}< \frac{1}{\frac{1}{x^n}}
[/tex]

note you could do similar thing for x>1 and negative values

Okay, that makes sense. But since I'm only comparing to other series, can I be sure that I'm catching all of the values of x where the original series converges?

EDIT: Nevermind...since I'm comparing the original series based on specific intervals of x, I'll be fine.

So I'll get the same interval for convergence and uniform convergence by the M-test?

not quite

consider x=1/2, using the fact below do you think the series will converge?
[tex]
\frac{1}{\frac{1}{(\frac{1}{2})^n} + (\frac{1}{2})^n}< \frac{1}{\frac{1}{(\frac{1}{2})^n}}= \frac{1}{2^n}
[/tex]

now consider x=2, using the fact below do you think the series will converge?
[tex]
\frac{1}{\frac{1}{(2)^n} + (2)^n}< \frac{1}{2^n}
[/tex]

note the symmetry in arguments, for any x>1, you can use the same argument above for y=1/x, with 0<y<1

1. What is the definition of convergence for a series?

Convergence of a series refers to the idea that as we add more and more terms of a series, the sum of those terms will approach a finite value. In other words, the series will stabilize and not continue to increase indefinitely.

2. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine convergence or divergence of a series, including the ratio test, the comparison test, and the integral test. It is important to carefully consider the terms of the series and choose the most appropriate test.

3. What are the different types of convergence for a series?

There are three main types of convergence for a series: absolute convergence, conditional convergence, and divergence. Absolute convergence means that the series converges when all values are taken as positive. Conditional convergence means that the series converges when both positive and negative values are included. Divergence means that the series does not converge to a finite value.

4. Can a series converge for some values of x and diverge for others?

Yes, it is possible for a series to converge for some values of x and diverge for others. This is because the behavior of a series can change depending on the values of x that are being used. It is important to carefully consider the conditions of convergence for a given series.

5. What is the importance of determining convergence of a series?

Determining the convergence of a series is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the series and make predictions about its values. It also helps us to determine the applicability of the series to real-world situations and to make informed decisions based on the results of the series.