Calculating the length of a tangent curve

In summary, The length of the curve can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, specifically the formula ds = sqrt(dx^2+dy^2). This can be applied to the given function, f(x) = tan(x) * 5 / 8, to find the length of the curve between the points (0,0) and (1,1). More information can be found in the Wikipedia entry on arclength or in any calculus textbook.
keeaga
Considering f(x) = tan(x) * 5 / 8 ...

how can I find the length of the curve, specifically, between (0, 0) and (1, 1) ?

if anyone can help I would be happy.

Thanks
Keeaga

Physics news on Phys.org
keeaga said:
Considering f(x) = tan(x) * 5 / 8 ...

how can I find the length of the curve, specifically, between (0, 0) and (1, 1) ?

if anyone can help I would be happy.

Thanks
Keeaga

You can't: the point (1,1) is not on the function's graph.

DonAntonio

Actually, it is... that's what the 5/8 is for. It shrinks the tangent vertically just enough for the curve to cross (-1,-1), (1,1), and (0,0).

I still don't know how to go about finding the length of the curve though.

Keeaga

keeaga said:
Actually, it is... that's what the 5/8 is for. It shrinks the tangent vertically just enough for the curve to cross (-1,-1), (1,1), and (0,0).

Keeaga

Are you implying tan(1)*5/8= 1?

keeaga said:

Keeaga

No, it really doesn't: [itex]\,\tan 1=1.55741\Longrightarrow \frac{5}{8}\tan 1 = 0.97338\neq 1\Longrightarrow (1,1)\,[/itex] is not on the graph of the function, and neither

is the point [itex]\,(-1,-1)\,[/itex]

DonAntonio

Ok, sorry, you're right... Thought it crossed 1,1 but that was based on a graph of it only.

Still, anyone know how generally to find the length of a tangent curve?

KTM

Check out the wikipedia entry on arclength where there are many formulas. Also, any calculus text will have arclength formulas. The key to them all is the Pythagorean theorem

ds = sqrt(dx^2+dy^2). Divide out dx and you get sqrt(1+(dy/dx)^2) dx

1. How do you calculate the length of a tangent curve?

To calculate the length of a tangent curve, you will need to use the arc length formula. This formula is L = ∫√(1+(dy/dx)^2)dx, where L is the length of the curve and dy/dx is the derivative of the curve. You will need to integrate this formula over the interval where the curve exists.

2. What is the difference between a tangent curve and a secant curve?

A tangent curve is a curve that touches a specific point on a function at only one point, while a secant curve is a curve that intersects a function at two or more points. In other words, a tangent curve is a special case of a secant curve where the two points of intersection are the same point.

3. Can the length of a tangent curve be negative?

No, the length of a tangent curve cannot be negative. The arc length formula takes the square root of a positive value, ensuring that the resulting length is always positive. Additionally, the length of a curve is a physical quantity and cannot have a negative value.

4. How does the length of a tangent curve relate to the curvature of the curve?

The length of a tangent curve is directly related to the curvature of the curve. The more curved a curve is, the longer its tangent curve will be. This is because the arc length formula takes into account the derivative of the curve, which is a measure of its curvature.

5. Can the length of a tangent curve be approximated?

Yes, the length of a tangent curve can be approximated using numerical methods such as Riemann sums or the trapezoidal rule. These methods involve dividing the curve into smaller segments and calculating the length of each segment, then summing them together to approximate the total length of the curve.