Why transition metals can have unpaired electrons in their compounds?

In summary, transition metals can have unpaired electrons in their compounds because the overlap of their d electrons with ligands' s- and p-orbitals is not strong enough to form covalent bonds. This is due to the orientation of the d-orbitals and can be further explained by ligand field theory and sources such as Bowser's Inorganic Chemistry textbook.
sludger13
Why can have transition metals unpaired electrons in their compounds? In correlates to their multiple oxidation states, but I still don't know the explanation of it, that would make me satisfied - I suppose it's mathematical, as molecular orbitals are creating. Or is there any explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
In most simple compounds electrons occur paired in bonds, lone pairs, and core orbitals. However, the degree to which forming bonds lowers the molecules energy (in comparison to every atom just keeping its own electrons in a high-spin configuration and not forming bonds) is related to the degree to which the atomic valence orbitals overlap, from which the bonds would be formed.

The main reason why many transition metal compounds can keep unpaired electrons is that overlap of their d electrons to their ligands' s- and p-orbitals is not large enough to make forming actual covalent bonds energetically favorable over both the ligands and the metal just keeping their own electrons, rather than sharing them.

Thank you for your answer!
It's clear molecular orbital would have higher potential energy than atomic orbitals.
The main reason why many transition metal compounds can keep unpaired electrons is that overlap of their d electrons to their ligands' s- and p-orbitals is not large enough to make forming actual covalent bonds
I can't see why some of (d) electrons can have sufficient overlap and others can not, though all of them are (circa) equally far from a nucleus and have the same energy level. Is it due to electron repulsion? Can anybody explain me?
E.G. Iron (III) oxide has one unpaired (d) electron, right? Which orbital is that? What impede it to create -lower energy- bonding orbital?

Can anyone just refer to some sources, please.

d-orbitals don't point all in the same direction, so you can't expect all bonding overlaps to be equally strong. Fe2O3 is a high spin complex, meaning that all 5 d-electrons are unpaired.
See, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligand_field_theory

Everything is explained here sufficiently but if you want a source, I reccomend Bowser's Inorganic Chem.

1. Why do transition metals have unpaired electrons?

Transition metals have unpaired electrons because they have partially filled d-orbitals. These electrons are not involved in bonding and are more loosely held by the atom, making them available for bonding with other atoms.

2. What is the significance of unpaired electrons in transition metal compounds?

Unpaired electrons in transition metal compounds are responsible for their unique chemical and physical properties. These electrons can participate in chemical reactions and give rise to different oxidation states, coordination numbers, and magnetic properties.

3. How do unpaired electrons affect the color of transition metal compounds?

Unpaired electrons in transition metal compounds absorb light in the visible region, resulting in the compounds having vibrant colors. The absorption of light causes the electrons to jump to higher energy levels, and the color of the compound depends on the energy difference between the levels.

4. Can transition metals have more than one unpaired electron?

Yes, transition metals can have more than one unpaired electron in their compounds. This is because the d-orbitals can hold a maximum of 10 electrons, and transition metals have multiple d-orbitals available for bonding.

5. What factors determine the number of unpaired electrons in a transition metal compound?

The number of unpaired electrons in a transition metal compound depends on the electronic configuration of the metal ion and the nature of the ligands attached to it. The geometry and oxidation state of the compound also play a role in determining the number of unpaired electrons.