Why shear stress components of the Stress Energy tensor not zero?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of Tij, the flux of the i-th component of momentum across a surface of constant xj, and why it can be non-zero for i≠j. The principle axis theorem was mentioned as a reason for this, as well as the analogy to the 3x3 Newtonian moment of inertia tensor. The conversation concluded with a clarification on the direction of Tij and the understanding being reached.
epovo
Hi,
I am having trouble understanding why Tij can be non-zero for i≠j. Tij is the flux of the i-th component of momentum across a surface of constant xj. Isn't the i-th component of momentum tangent to the surface of constant xj and therefore its flux across that surface zero? What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
The principle axis theorem says that there are some basis vectors for which ##T^{ij}## is diagonal and hence ##T^{ij}## zero for i ##\neq## j, but the basis vectors are not necessarily aligned with the principle axes and thus in general the off-diagonal entries can be nonzero. Consider the analogous case of the 3x3 Newtonian moment of inertia tensor, for instance.

I don't understand your answer, pervect. Why would we express the components of four-momentum in a basis vectors not aligned with the coordinates that define the surfaces of constant xi? I have not been able to find a word of warning to that effect in any text...

epovo said:
Tij is the flux of the i-th component of momentum across a surface of constant xj.
No, you have it slightly backwards! Tij is the i-th component of the flux of the momentum across the surface of constant xj. The momentum flux across the surface is a vector that can point in any direction. Tij is its i-th component, and there is no reason for it to be zero.

Likes 1 person
OMG! I get it now. Thank you very much!

1. Why are shear stress components of the Stress Energy tensor not zero?

The shear stress components of the Stress Energy tensor are not zero because they represent the forces acting on a material that cause it to deform or change shape. In other words, shear stress is a measure of how much a material is being pushed or pulled in different directions.

2. What factors contribute to the non-zero values of shear stress components?

There are several factors that can contribute to non-zero shear stress components, including the physical properties of the material (such as its elasticity and viscosity), the applied forces, and the geometry of the object being studied. These factors all play a role in determining how much shear stress a material will experience.

3. How does shear stress relate to the concept of strain?

Shear stress and strain are closely related, as they both describe the deformation or change in shape of a material. Shear stress is the force that causes strain, and the amount of strain is directly proportional to the amount of shear stress being applied. In other words, the more shear stress a material experiences, the more it will deform or change shape.

4. Are there any real-life examples of shear stress in action?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of shear stress in action. For instance, when you walk on a sandy beach, the sand beneath your feet experiences shear stress as it is pushed and pulled in different directions. In engineering, shear stress is also an important factor in the design of structures such as bridges and buildings, as it can affect their stability and durability.

5. Can shear stress components ever be zero?

In some cases, it is possible for the shear stress components to be zero. This can occur when all of the forces acting on a material are balanced, so there is no net force causing it to deform. However, in most real-world scenarios, there will be some degree of shear stress present, even if it is very small.