Countdown to UCSD: 8 Steps to a Ph.D.

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
In summary, Clausius is currently in the process of taking seven exams and defending his undergraduate final project in order to be able to enroll in a Ph.D. program at UCSD. He has completed six of the seven exams with high scores and is waiting for the results of the last two. He will also be defending his final project in the first week of September. Despite the pressure and difficulty of the task, Clausius is determined to succeed and is grateful for the support and encouragement from his peers.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
As you may know I've been provisionally admitted at UCSD Ph.D.. In order to be able to enroll definitely, I have to overcome these steps. This month I have seven exams of the last undergraduate year:

1) Industrial Automation
2) Cogeneration power plants
3) Hydraulics and Open channel flow
4) Energetic Engineering
5) Management and Information Systems
6) Industrial Heating & Cooling
7) Transport Engineering

and I have to defend my undergraduate final project (8)

These 8 steps represent the borderline between me and USA. I hope to pass all of them before Fall 2005, but it would be a very difficult task. So if I fail, you will be exceptional eye witness of my failure. :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Clausius2 said:
So if I fail, you will be exceptional eye witness of my failure. :cry:
You won't, so we won't.

Did you show them your PF Engineering guru ribbon? Surely that counts for something. :approve:

You can do it, but that is a heavy load!

Go Clausius!

Good luck with it all, my Guru Spaniard...

Danger said:
You won't, so we won't.

I wish you're right.

Evo said:
Did you show them your PF Engineering guru ribbon? Surely that counts for something.

You can do it, but that is a heavy load!

I was thinking to put it in my curriculum, but we have to work harder for enhancing this site to become more prestigious to do such a thing, something like "the Royal Society of PF". :wink:

Brewnog said:
Go Clausius!

Good luck with it all, my Guru Spaniard...

Thanks, my Manchester Expert. :tongue2:

Clausius2 said:
Thanks, my Manchester Expert. :tongue2:

Ahhh yes, "expert".

"Ex", meaning "has been,"
and
"Spurt", meaning "a drip under pressure."

Clausius2 said:
This month I have seven exams of the last undergraduate year
All in one month? How did that happen?

GOOD LUCK!

We are all pulling for you. Perhaps you will need to take some time off from PF, that will be permitted, but we will expect you back better then ever.

Perhaps someday we will finally meet!

Sounds like a lot of work in a short amount of time, but we're all pulling for you. You can do it! :smile:

Monique said:
All in one month? How did that happen?

Ok, we have two quarters. This is the last quarter of this year. This does not mean all exams of the year are concentrated in this month, only the correspondents to second quarter.

Integral said:
Perhaps someday we will finally meet!

I hope so!

Huckleberry said:
Sounds like a lot of work in a short amount of time, but we're all pulling for you. You can do it!

Thank you very much.

Clausius2 said:
1) Industrial Automation (Score: B)
2) Cogeneration power plants (Score: A)
3) Hydraulics and Open channel flow (Score:A)
4) Energetic Engineering
6) Industrial Heating & Cooling
7) Transport Engineering

Three steps completed. The final is nearer. :smile:

Getting there Claus!

So the party is nearer!

Keep on going, news has just come:

Clausius2 said:
1) Industrial Automation (Score:B)
2) Cogeneration power plants (Score:A)
4) Energetic Engineering (Score:A)
6) Industrial Heating & Cooling (Score:A)
7) Transport Engineering

I am getting surprised of myself. I had to pass every exam I had to take this year in order to have a chance in UCSD for fall 2005, and the pressure to do it was overwhelming. It seems the stuff is going well. Let's hope it keeps on going so...

You reminds me of my friend.She's busy just like you.I hope you both be successful.(damn I really miss her!)

Lisa! said:
You reminds me of my friend.She's busy just like you.I hope you both be successful.(damn I really miss her!)

I really care your support, Lisa, Thank you very much. :smile:

Congrat Clausius, the end is in sight and looks good!

Clausius2 said:
These 8 steps represent the borderline between me and USA. I hope to pass all of them before Fall 2005, but it would be a very difficult task. So if I fail, you will be exceptional eye witness of my failure. :cry:

I am delighted to see young scientists from other countries continuing to want to study here.

You've made my day.

Just two left to go! Keep up the good work Clausius! When do you take the final two exams so we'll know when to plan the party? :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Just two left to go! Keep up the good work Clausius! When do you take the final two exams so we'll know when to plan the party? :biggrin:

Everyone is invited to that party. :!)

Thanks pattylou, mattmns, and Moonbear. I will try to do my best. I have taken all exams. Now I have to wait till the professors give off the scores. I know some of them, but the last two I don't know yet. Also I have to prepare my undergraduate project and defend it in the first week of September.

Last edited:
i wish you the best of luck man

marlon

Last Step

News:

1) Industrial Automation (Score: B)
2) Cogeneration power plants (Score: A)
4) Energetic Engineering (Score:A)
5) Management and Information Systems (Score:C)
6) Industrial Heating & Cooling (Score: A with Honours)
7) Transport Engineering (Score:B)

I am only one step to go!. Maybe I complete it at the beginning of September. After all, the stuff seems to go all right. I don't advice you to work under pressure!

Well done Clausius ! (Ooh, I like the score in the Management course :biggrin:)

Best of luck on your defense.

Gokul43201 said:
Well done Clausius ! (Ooh, I like the score in the Management course :biggrin:)

Best of luck on your defense.

Thank you. You know, management is not my best... :wink:

I don't even know you, yet I feel so proud of you! You set such a hard goal for yourself, and understood what it took to reach it.

hypatia said:
I don't even know you, yet I feel so proud of you! You set such a hard goal for yourself, and understood what it took to reach it.

Thank you very much hypatia. I am proud too of the fact you feel proud of me. :smile: Let's work in my undergraduate project and see what happens in september. I have fifty days to finish it.

1. What is "Countdown to UCSD: 8 Steps to a Ph.D."?

"Countdown to UCSD: 8 Steps to a Ph.D." is a guidebook written by UCSD alumni and professors to help students navigate the process of earning a Ph.D. at UCSD.

2. Who is the target audience for this guidebook?

The guidebook is primarily aimed at undergraduate and graduate students who are considering pursuing a Ph.D. at UCSD or are currently in the process of earning their Ph.D. at UCSD.

3. What are the 8 steps outlined in the guidebook?

The 8 steps outlined in the guidebook are: 1) Choosing a research topic and advisor, 2) Preparing for the application process, 3) Navigating the admissions process, 4) Funding your Ph.D., 5) Setting up your research lab, 6) Managing teaching and research responsibilities, 7) Writing and defending your dissertation, and 8) Preparing for life after your Ph.D.

4. Are the 8 steps specific to UCSD or can they apply to other universities?

While the guidebook is tailored to the experience of earning a Ph.D. at UCSD, the steps outlined can be applied to the process of earning a Ph.D. at other universities as well.

5. Is the guidebook available in other formats besides print?

Yes, the guidebook is also available as an e-book and can be purchased and downloaded online.

Back