Average force and center of mass

In summary, the average force exerted on the woman by the ground during her jump can be calculated by finding the sum of the initial and final forces and dividing by 2. The initial force is equal to the normal force, which is 431.64 N, and the final force is equal to the sum of the gravitational force and the acceleration of the woman, which is 562.58 N. Therefore, the average force exerted on the woman during her jump is approximately 497.11 N.
ViewtifulBeau
A 44 kg woman leaps vertically from a crouching position in which her center of mass is 48 cm above the ground. As her feet leave the floor her center of mass is 81 cm above the ground; it raises to 124 cm at the top of her leap.

What average force was exerted on her by the ground during the jump?

the initial force is the normal force (44 * 9.81) = 431.64 N
but i don't know what the final force is.

after i find the final force the average is (Fi+Ff)/2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about velocity. What initial velocity must she have to reach 124 cm?

Last edited:
the velocity is 2.905 m/s

Now it should be down to kinematics.

i got the acceleration of the woman to be 3.57 m/s/s so i add that to the 9.81 gravitational force and then multiply that by 44 kg. I got 588.9 N. so (588.9+431.64)/2 =510.3 N ... this is wrong.. so i don't know what to do now

Why are you dividing by 2? 588 N is already the average net force during the jump.

so its 588.9 + 431.64 = 1021. this is "close but not within 1% of correct answer" did i round wrong somewhere?

Recalculate the net force (588.9 N); I get a different value.

is it 562.58 N? just checking because it is my last guess.. thanks by the way

ViewtifulBeau said:
is it 562.58 N?
Looks OK to me.

1. What is average force?

Average force is the total force exerted on an object over a given period of time. It is calculated by dividing the total force by the time interval during which the force was applied.

2. How is average force different from instantaneous force?

Instantaneous force is the force exerted on an object at a specific moment in time, while average force takes into account the total force exerted over a period of time. Instantaneous force can vary greatly, while average force gives a more accurate representation of the overall force applied.

3. What is center of mass?

The center of mass is the point in an object where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the point where the object will balance perfectly.

4. How is center of mass related to average force?

The center of mass is related to average force through the concept of torque. Torque is the product of the force applied and the distance from the center of mass. The average force acting on an object will affect its center of mass and can cause it to move or rotate.

5. Why is it important to consider average force and center of mass in scientific experiments?

Considering average force and center of mass is important in scientific experiments because they help us understand the motion and stability of objects. By calculating average force and determining the center of mass, we can predict how an object will move or behave in different situations. This information is crucial for designing experiments and understanding the laws of motion.