Water mechanics homework

In summary, a cliff diver takes off horizontally from a cliff face 26.5 metres above the surface of the water. He travels 8 metres forwards before falling and travelling the remaining 1.5 metres.
Badrakhandama
A cliff diver takes off horizontally from a cliff face 26.5 metres above the surface of the water. In the course of his flight, he travels 8 metres forwards, of which all but the last 1.5 metres of horizontal motion is above rock. In other words, he travels 6.5 metres in the air horizontally, before he falls and travels the remaining 1.5 metres.

Questions:
1) How long is he in the air?
s = 1/2 (g) (t^2), so time =2.3 seconds

2) How long is he OVER the water during the flight?

I assume this is asking how long he travels at the 6.5 metres?

I have no idea what equation to use or where to start - all i know is that the answer is 0.44 seconds...HELP!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Badrakhandama said:
A cliff diver takes off horizontally from a cliff face 26.5 metres above the surface of the water. In the course of his flight, he travels 8 metres forwards, of which all but the last 1.5 metres of horizontal motion if above rock. In other words, he travels 6.5 metres in the air, horizontally

I don't understand this exercise. Isn't "he travels 8 metres forwards" and "he travels 6.5 metres in the air, horizontally" a contradiction?

I interpreted it as 6.5m of the horizontal motion was above rock since the rock face is not vertical, and the last 1.5m is above water. So "he travels 6.5 metres in the air, horizontally" would be incorrect, no?

Torquil

Hi - It is my fault - I have phrased it poorly.

The Diver takes off and travels forward 8 metres, by the time he has hit the water - however, 6.5 metres of the 8 is covered above the rock. The other 1.5 metres is covered as he is now falling down past the rock.

Ok, then I understand more. You have already found the amount of time. You can assume that the horizontal component of the velocity is constant since there are no horizontal forces acting (neglecting wind resistance), so you can figure out the horizontal speed.

From that you should be able to find the answer to the second question.

Torquil

I agree - but I do not appear to get the answer of 0.44 seconds.

This is how I did it -

If t = 2.3 seconds

Speed = d/t =8/2.3 = 3.5 metres per second

Assuming velocity remains the same (which it does), then to travel 6.5 metres will take :
T = d/s = 6.5/3.5 = 1.87 seconds.

What am i doing wrong?

I don't think you did anything wrong apart from misinterpret your result. Your time is the time above rock, so you want the difference between those time values.

Torquil

Thank you! That gives the correct answer.

But I have one question - If it takes 2.3 seconds to travel 8 metres, and takes 1.87 seconds to travel 6.5 metres - then why is the answer not 1.87? Since the time above the rock is the time taken to travel 6.5 metres, right?

Wait - maybe I am misinterpreting the whole question - when is says ' how long over the water,' what does that mean?

Thank You

It means that they want the amount of time during which he has water directly beneath him. So that would be the time it takes to move the last 1.5m.

Torquil

Ok, but he has water beneath him for all 8 metres.

The question does not say that he runs 6.5 metres and then falls, it says he travels 8 metres in the air...

So i am not sure

I think it is like this: He jumps out from the rock face. the rock face is not vertical, so he has to jump at least 6.5m out to awaid being smashed on the rocks. He jumps out 8m to be sure to not hit the rocks.

So in total: 8m horizontally. 6.5 of them while with rocks underneat, and the other 1.5 with water underneath.

Torquil

Ah! That makes much more sense! Thank You

Finally, make I ask you - how could you calculate 'the angle which the diver makesm to the vertical, upon entry to the water?'

Oh! That seems right - thank you very much!

One last question - how do you calculate 'the angle which the diver makes, to the vertical, upon entry to the water' ?

Thank You, again

No problem, you already know the horizontal speed upon impact. Since you know the total time you can also calculate vertical speed. After that you should be ble to find the angle using a trigonometric function.

Torquil

Yes, I have got the horizontal speed to be 3.5 metres per second
The vertical speed is 11.5 metres per second

But what trignometric function? I do not know of any which can predict the vertical entry angle of a perabola

?

What is water mechanics?

Water mechanics is the study of how fluids, specifically water, move and interact with their surroundings. It involves principles of physics, mathematics, and engineering to understand the behavior of water in different environments.

What are some real-life applications of water mechanics?

Water mechanics has many practical applications, such as designing water systems for cities, studying ocean currents and tides, and predicting the behavior of natural disasters like floods and tsunamis. It is also used in the development of water sports equipment and the design of ships and submarines.

What are some key concepts in water mechanics?

Some key concepts in water mechanics include fluid properties (such as density, viscosity, and surface tension), Bernoulli's principle, and the laws of motion. These concepts help explain how water moves, why objects float or sink in water, and how pressure affects fluid flow.

What tools and techniques are used in water mechanics research?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study water mechanics, including computer simulations, mathematical models, and physical experiments. They may also use specialized equipment such as flow meters, pressure sensors, and wave gauges to collect data on water movement and behavior.

How does water mechanics relate to other branches of science?

Water mechanics is closely related to other branches of science such as fluid dynamics, hydrology, and oceanography. It also has applications in fields like civil and environmental engineering, meteorology, and geology. Understanding water mechanics is essential for addressing many real-world challenges related to water management, climate change, and natural disasters.