Weird statement in my book about (measure theoretic) conditional expectation

In summary, the book argues that if we consider a sigma-algebra generated by a discrete random variable, then we can see that the expectation is the same as the random variable itself. However, this interpretation is inadvisable because the sigma-algebra "gives us no information" about the random variable.
AxiomOfChoice
My book tries to illustrate the conditional expectation for a random variable [itex]X(\omega)[/itex] on a probability space [itex](\Omega,\mathscr F,P)[/itex] by asking me to consider the sigma-algebra [itex]\mathscr G = \{ \emptyset, \Omega \}[/itex], [itex]\mathscr G \subset \mathscr F[/itex]. It then argues that [itex]E[X|\mathscr G] = E[X][/itex] (I'm fine with that). But it claims this should make sense, since [itex]\mathscr G[/itex] "gives us no information." How is this supposed to make sense? In what regard does the sigma-algebra [itex]\mathscr G[/itex] give us "no information" about [itex]X[/itex]? I mean, if you know the values [itex]X[/itex] takes on [itex]\mathscr G[/itex], you know [itex]X(\omega)[/itex] everywhere, right?! So this obviously is the wrong interpretation (in fact, any sigma-algebra necessarily contains [itex]\Omega[/itex], so this interpretation would make conditional expectation useless) but I can't think of what the right one is...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of a sigma algebra as 'containing information'.Since G is the trivial sigma algebra, it contains no intrinsic information & doesn't affect the expectation.
I must admit that this terminology is vague & nearly metaphorical. It's perfectly fine if you stash this terminology if it doesn't suit your intuition.

I don't know how the book you're following sets it out.

But consider discrete random variables X,Z and the E(X|Z=z) for distinct z's and how the sigma algebra generated by Z partions Omega. So consider first the functions measurable wrt to the trivial sigma algebra. Then a richer sigma algebra, and you might get more of a feel for the idea of "information" in the sigma algebra.

Even defining your random variables, Omega etc. and doing the calculations may make the idear clearer to you.

But what information is hidden if G is the trivial sigma algebra?

A lot? Potentially none - X might be G measurable.

What [itex]E[X\vert \mathcal{G}][/itex] means is that you know the information that X takes in [itex]\mathcal{G}[/itex].

So the clue is that [itex]E[X\vert \mathcal{G}][/itex] is [itex]\mathcal{G}[/itex]-measurable. In fact, it is the [itex]\mathcal{G}[/itex]-random variable that approximates X best (and this can be made rigorous).

So [itex]E[X\vert\mathcal{G}][/itex] is an approximation of X that is [itex]\mathcal{G}[/itex]-measurable. So for any ]a,b[, we know that

[tex]\{E[X\vert\mathcal{G}]~\in ]a,b[\}\in \mathcal{G}\}[/tex]

What happens if we have [itex]\mathcal{G}=\{\emptyset,\Omega\}[/itex], then we know that

[tex]\{E[X\vert\mathcal{G}]\in ]a,b[\}\in \{\emptyset,\Omega\}[/tex]

But this places severe restrictions on [itex]E[X\vert\mathcal{G}][/itex]. In fact, it forces this random variable to be constant!

If we take [itex]\mathcal{G}[/itex] to be finer (thus to contain more sets), then we allow [tex]E[X\vert \mathcal{G}][/tex] to take on more values. Specifically, we allow it to approximate X better.

For example, if [itex]\mathcal{G}=\{\emptyset,\Omega, G,G^c\}[/itex], then we must have[tex]\{E[X\vert\mathcal{G}]\in ]a,b[\}\in \{\emptyset,\Omega,G,G^c\}[/tex]

This does not force our random variable to be constant. Indeed, we now allow [itex]E[X\vert\mathcal{G}][/itex] to take different values on G and Gc. So our random variable is now 2-valued!

The finer we make [itex]\mathcal{G}[/itex], the more variable the [itex]E[X\vert \mathcal{G}][/itex] can be. And the better the approximation can be!

I hope this helped.

1. What is a conditional expectation?

Conditional expectation is a concept in measure theory that measures the expected value of a random variable given certain information or conditions. It is a way to predict the value of a random variable based on what is known about the underlying probability distribution.

2. How is conditional expectation calculated?

Conditional expectation is calculated using the formula E(X|Y) = ∫xf(x|y)dy, where X is the random variable, Y is the condition or information, and f(x|y) is the conditional probability density function of X given Y.

3. What is the difference between conditional expectation and unconditional expectation?

Unconditional expectation is the expected value of a random variable without any conditions or information, while conditional expectation takes into account certain conditions or information when calculating the expected value. In other words, conditional expectation is a more specific and precise measure compared to unconditional expectation.

4. What is the significance of conditional expectation in probability theory?

Conditional expectation is a fundamental concept in probability theory that has numerous applications in mathematics and statistics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems, make predictions, and solve problems in various fields such as economics, finance, and engineering.

5. Can you provide an example of conditional expectation in real life?

One example of conditional expectation in real life is weather forecasting. Meteorologists use historical data and current conditions (such as temperature, humidity, and wind speed) to predict the weather for a specific location. The predicted weather is the conditional expectation of the weather given the known information.