New Forum Icons: Easier to Follow Subscribed Threads

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
In summary, there is a suggestion to have the forum icon change when there are new posts in subscribed threads, similar to how it currently changes color for new posts in any thread. This would make it easier to keep track of subscribed threads, especially for those who do not check their list regularly. Some users find the list of subscribed threads on the "My PF" page to be more useful than email notifications, but having the icon change would be a helpful visual indicator. However, it may not be as useful if there are multiple subscribed threads in one forum.
NeoDevin
I was wondering if it would be possible to have the forum icon change when there are new posts in subscribed threads in the forum. Kind of how it changes colour when there are new posts in any thread in the forum, maybe have a different colour for when there are new posts in a subscribed thread.

It would make it a little bit easier to check just the threads I'm already following (I know, I'm lazy, just thought this would be a cool feature).

Edit: The main use would be to follow a thread in a forum I don't usually spend much time on, and therefore don't often check.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you click the my PF button on the top left then you see a list of all your updated subscribed threads. I find that a useful way to keep track.

I like that suggestion, even though I don't usually subscribe to threads. If, for example, the icon changed orange when someone replied to a subscribed thread in a forum, I might actually use the thread subscription feature more often. As it is, I forget I've subscribed and then don't bother checking the list, and it does me very little good, so I don't bother.

I actually use my subscribed threads list very often. At first I found it annoying when I would get an email every time someone responded to my threads. Once, I turned that off however, and all I had was the list of threads on My PF, it became more useful than annoying. I enjoy having the list of threads I'm interested in right on My PF.

To NeoDevin:

What you're suggesting sounds cool, but I think overall its somewhat less useful than the My PF list of subscriptions, since you would not know which thread was updated if you had more than one in a given forum.

I know it's not generally as useful, but I never think to check that list, and sometimes I'm following a thread in a forum I don't usually frequent, and then I end up forgetting about it for a few days/weeks/months. If the forum icons changed orange (or something) when there was a reply to a subscribed thread, then it would be easy to see at a glance on the main page whether or not someone has replied to a discussion I'm interested in.

1. What are the new forum icons and how do they make it easier to follow subscribed threads?

The new forum icons are small images that are displayed next to each thread in a forum. These icons visually represent the status of the thread, such as if it is new, has unread posts, or has been replied to. This makes it easier for users to quickly identify which threads they are subscribed to and which ones they need to catch up on.

2. How do I know if I am subscribed to a thread?

If you are subscribed to a thread, you will see a small icon next to the thread title that indicates your subscription. This icon may vary depending on the forum, but it is typically a small star or bell icon. You can also check your account settings to see a list of all the threads you are subscribed to.

3. Can I customize the forum icons?

Unfortunately, the forum icons cannot be customized by individual users. They are standardized across the entire forum to ensure consistency and ease of use for all users.

4. Do the new forum icons affect the functionality of the forum?

No, the new forum icons are simply a visual aid and do not affect the overall functionality of the forum. All features and functions of the forum will still work as usual.

5. Will the new forum icons be available on all devices?

Yes, the new forum icons will be available on all devices, including desktop computers, laptops, tablets, and mobile phones. This ensures that all users have access to the same visual aids and can easily follow their subscribed threads, regardless of the device they are using.