Power cycle efficiency problem

In summary, we are given a power cycle with a thermal efficiency of 40% and a rate of 100 MW. The electricity generated is valued at $0.08 per kW * h. The cost to supply Qin is $4.50 per GJ and the power cycle operates for 8000 hours annually. We are asked to determine the value of electricity generated per year, the annual fuel cost, and whether the difference between the two represents profit.
brvfan20

Homework Statement

A power cycle has a thermal efficiency of 40% and generates electricity at a rate of 100 MW. The electricity is valued at $0.08 per kW * h. Based on the cost of fuel, the cost to supply Qin is $4.50 per GJ. For 8000 hours of operation annually, determine, in $.
a. The value of electricity generated per year.
b. The annual fuel cost.
c. Does the difference between the results of parts (a) and (b) represent profit? Discuss.

Homework Equations

Thermal Efficiency = W cycle/ Q in

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to begin.
Can someone please get me on the right track.

Physics news on Phys.org
First convert GJ to KW.

i would solve today night ,youwould have answer tomorrow ..
faithfully
mangesh joshi

mangeshpjoshi said:
i would solve today night ,youwould have answer tomorrow ..
faithfully
mangesh joshi

I figured it out...thanks though!

1. What is power cycle efficiency?

Power cycle efficiency is a measure of how well a system is able to convert energy input into useful work output. It is typically expressed as a percentage, with a higher efficiency indicating a more efficient system.

2. How is power cycle efficiency calculated?

Power cycle efficiency is calculated by dividing the work output of the system by the energy input. The work output can be measured in various units such as joules or horsepower, while the energy input is usually measured in units of heat, such as kilojoules or BTUs.

3. What are some factors that affect power cycle efficiency?

There are several factors that can affect power cycle efficiency, including the type of energy source used, the design and condition of the system, and the operating conditions. For example, using a more efficient energy source and maintaining the system properly can improve efficiency.

4. Why is power cycle efficiency important?

Power cycle efficiency is important because it can help determine the overall performance and cost-effectiveness of a system. A higher efficiency means that less energy is wasted, resulting in lower operating costs and a more sustainable use of resources.

5. How can power cycle efficiency be improved?

There are several ways to improve power cycle efficiency, including regular maintenance and tuning of the system, using more efficient energy sources, and implementing design improvements. It is also important to monitor and optimize operating conditions to ensure the system is running at its most efficient level.