Redox Reaction of Ascorbic Acid using IO3

In summary: If I understand correctly, you are asking if the concentration of IO3- is equal to the concentration of KIO3.If I understand correctly, you are asking if the concentration of IO3- is equal to the concentration of KIO3.No. My textbook is slightly cryptic. :(No. My textbook is slightly cryptic. :(
DavetheMD

Homework Statement

Equation 1 - IO3- (aq) + 6 H+ (aq) + 5 I- (aq) -> 3 I2 (aq) + 3 H20

The iodine formed will react with the ascorbic acid.

Equation 2 - C6H8O6 + I 2 -> C6H6O6 + 2 I- (aq) + 2 H+ (aq)

The goal is to determine the ascorbic acid concentration (mg/mL) in a Vitamin C solution. A 10mL sample Vitamin C solution was pipetted into an Erlenmeyer flask, to which water, .5 g KL(s), 5 mL of 1M HCl solution, and 1 mL 1% starch solution was mixed thoroughly.

Titration began with .0137M KIO3.

To reach the endpoint indicated by the blue color of the idoine-starch complex, required 18.96 mL IO3- solution.

Homework Equations

a. calculate the number of moles IO3- required for titration.

b. Calculate the number of moles of I2 (as I3-) produced in the reaction mixture.

c. Calculate the number of moles of ascorbic acid (176.14 g/mole) present in the 10-mL alquot. Calculate the molarity (M) of the ascorbic acid solution.

d. Calculate the mg/mL of ascorbic acid in the solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I am assuming the easiest way to find the number of moles I03- required for titration is to take the 18.96 mL, convert it to L and multiply it by Molarity. But the Molarity I have known is for KIO3 (.0137M)

I didn't want to run this calculation without further clarification as to whether or not this is correct. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand you correctly you are not sure if the concentration of IO3- is identical to the concentration of KIO3?

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
If I understand you correctly you are not sure if the concentration of IO3- is identical to the concentration of KIO3?

--
www.titrations.info, www.chemistry-quizzes.info, www.ph-meter.info

Yes. I am not sure if "a. calculate the number of moles IO3- required for titration."

Is going to be (18.96 mL IO3- Solution) * (.0137M KIO3 required for titration)

Do you know how KIO3 dissociates?

I guess your book doesn't state anything as it assumes you to know that after earlier examples of different salts - most of them behave exactly the same way, listing each one separately doesn't make sense.

KIO3 -> K+ + IO3-

Now, if that's how the salt dissociate, and you are given concentration of KIO3, does it differ from teh concentration of IO3-?

1. What is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction, short for reduction-oxidation reaction, is a chemical process in which electrons are transferred between two substances. One substance gains electrons (reduction) while the other loses electrons (oxidation).

2. What is ascorbic acid?

Ascorbic acid, also known as vitamin C, is a water-soluble vitamin that is essential for human health. It acts as an antioxidant and is involved in various metabolic processes in the body.

3. How does IO3 participate in the redox reaction of ascorbic acid?

IO3, or iodate ion, acts as an oxidizing agent in the redox reaction with ascorbic acid. It accepts electrons from ascorbic acid, causing it to be reduced to iodide ion (I-).

4. What is the purpose of studying the redox reaction of ascorbic acid with IO3?

Studying the redox reaction of ascorbic acid with IO3 can provide insight into the oxidation and reduction processes that occur in the body. It can also help us understand the role of antioxidants, such as vitamin C, in maintaining overall health.

5. How is the redox reaction of ascorbic acid with IO3 measured?

The redox reaction can be measured using a titration method, where a known concentration of IO3 is added to a solution containing ascorbic acid until the reaction is complete. The amount of IO3 used is then used to calculate the concentration of ascorbic acid present in the solution.