Removing Oxide Layer from Machine Tools

• Thread starter engineer23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tools
In summary, a forum user is seeking advice on removing a black oxide layer from machine tools after using an etching process to remove residual Aluminum. They believe the layer is due to overheating and are looking for an etchant that will remove it for examination. Another user suggests using phosphoric acid or muriatic acid, both commonly used for preparing metal surfaces for painting. Precautions should be taken when handling these acids.
engineer23
Hi all! This forum has been very helpful to me in the past, so I thought I would post this question here.

I have what are basically machine tools that I am trying to examine in the SEM (I also use profilometry to gauge surface roughness). After use, the tools have residual Aluminum on them, which I etch away using a mixture of water and NaOH. Unfortunately, many of the tools also have a black oxide layer that is not removed by this etching process. I think formation of this layer is related to overheating. Is there any etchant that will take off the oxide layer, exposing the surface underneath for examination? I have though about acetone, but I have really no background in chemistry or etching, so any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The alkali you used will remove the aluminium residues but not the iron\ nickel \ chrome oxides.

I suggest you try either phosphoric acid or if that does not take it off, muriatic acid should do the trick.

Both are used and commercially available for preparation of metal surfaces (oxide layer removal) for painting.

Note well the precauations stated on the label.

In particular always add acid to water, not the other way round if you dilute the stuff.

go well

1. How does an oxide layer form on machine tools?

An oxide layer forms on machine tools when the metal surface is exposed to oxygen and moisture, resulting in a chemical reaction that produces a layer of rust or corrosion. This can happen over time due to environmental factors or from contact with oils and other substances.

2. Why is it important to remove the oxide layer from machine tools?

Removing the oxide layer is important because it can lead to decreased performance and functionality of the machine tools. The layer can cause friction and wear, which can result in damage and decreased accuracy. It can also affect the appearance of the tools and make them more difficult to clean.

3. What are the common methods for removing oxide layer from machine tools?

The most common methods for removing oxide layer from machine tools include mechanical methods such as sanding or wire brushing, chemical methods using acidic or alkaline solutions, and electrochemical methods utilizing an electrical current and an electrolyte solution. Each method has its own advantages and should be chosen based on the type and severity of the oxide layer.

4. How often should the oxide layer be removed from machine tools?

The frequency of oxide layer removal will depend on the specific machine tools and their usage. In general, it is recommended to regularly inspect and clean the tools to prevent a buildup of rust and corrosion. It is also important to remove the oxide layer as soon as it is noticed to prevent further damage.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when removing oxide layer from machine tools?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when removing the oxide layer from machine tools. This may include wearing protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a respirator, as well as working in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to carefully follow the instructions for any chemical or electrochemical methods to avoid accidents or injury.