Metal balls falling from space

In summary, there have been reports of mysterious space balls falling in various locations over the past 20 years, which have been speculated to have come from outer space. However, further investigation has revealed that these objects are in fact manmade and likely to be debris from objects in orbit. The article discussing these space balls is not particularly inaccurate and the proper investigations are taking place.
surajt88
Any idea where these space balls came from? Its speculated that several such balls have dropped in southern Africa, Australia and Latin America in the past 20 years.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You don't buy the http://www.nasa.gov/centers/wstf/laboratories/composite/index.html then? That what the others have turned out to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
surajt88 said:
Any idea where these space balls came from? Its speculated that several such balls have dropped in southern Africa, Australia and Latin America in the past 20 years.

Did you actually read that article?? They give a perfectly reasonable explanation of the balls.

surajt88 said:
Any idea where these space balls came from?
Simon Bridge said:
You don't buy the http://www.nasa.gov/centers/wstf/laboratories/composite/index.html
The images from these two articles match very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The images from these two articles match very well.
I thought so.

Since this is the skepticism forum I suppose someone should point out that the skeptical approach at this stage would need some special reason to suppose anything different.

From the outset, the objects are clearly manmade, there are manmade objects in the sky, therefore it is not surprising to find manmade objects falling from the sky. Even without knowing about COPVs that should be enough to show there is no problem in the appearance of these objects. We would automatically suspect they were bits of something we put in the sky and look for likely candidates ... which has happened.

The likelyhood we need to look any further is very small.
The proper investigations are happening.

The article isn't even particularly bad. In fact it's one of the better reports I've seen.

Okay, without my glasses I was reading this as "meat balls falling from space". :rofl: This isn't quite so bad.

I've heard of a lot of strange reports, but meat balls would be a first.

Ivan Seeking said:
Okay, without my glasses I was reading this as "meat balls falling from space". :rofl: This isn't quite so bad.

Better than me. I was thinking of Mel Brooks' movie. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:

Thank you! That's what I keep reading!

MV5BMTg0MjAwNDI5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODkyMzg2Mg@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

1. What are metal balls falling from space?

Metal balls falling from space refer to small spherical objects made of metal that enter the Earth's atmosphere from outer space.

2. Where do these metal balls come from?

These metal balls are usually debris or fragments from satellites, rockets, or other spacecraft that have entered Earth's atmosphere and burned up due to friction with the air.

3. How big are these metal balls?

The size of these metal balls can vary greatly, ranging from a few millimeters to several meters in diameter. The size depends on the size of the original object that broke apart in space.

4. Are these metal balls dangerous?

In most cases, these metal balls are not dangerous as they disintegrate in the Earth's atmosphere before reaching the ground. However, there is a small chance of damage or injury if one of these metal balls were to hit a person or object on the ground.

5. How often do we see metal balls falling from space?

Metal balls falling from space are relatively rare events, and most of them go unnoticed. However, on average, about 100 tons of space debris falls to Earth each year, with some of it being in the form of metal balls.