Sulfuric Acid - Ionic, Polar Molecular or Non Polar Molecular

In summary, Sulfuric acid is a compound that contains two different types of bonds - the molecular bond between the sulfur and oxygen atoms in the sulfate ion, and the polar covalent bond between the hydrogen and oxygen atoms. When the compound is dissolved in water, there are also other types of bonds involved, such as hydrogen bonds between the water molecules and the polar regions of the sulfuric acid molecules.
shahmeer
What type of bond is Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4(aq))?

People tell me its ionic because the acid is made up of a polyatomic ion. However, many sources online say that the acid is polar.

I can't seem to figure out which bond it is.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
shahmeer said:
What type of bond is Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4(aq))?

Sulfuric acid is not a bond, it is a compound. It contains bonds - two different bonds. And when it is dissolved (as the (aq) part suggests) there are also other types of bonds involved.

So, what is the question?

Sorry, my mistake..

What type of bond holds the compound together, molecular or ionic? I would assume that a molecular bond holds the sulphate together but I am not sure about which bond holds the hydrogen and the sulphate together.

Could you also please explain which bonds are involved when the compound is in a solution?

Thank You

1. What is the chemical formula for sulfuric acid?

Sulfuric acid has the chemical formula H2SO4.

2. Is sulfuric acid an ionic, polar molecular, or nonpolar molecular compound?

Sulfuric acid is a polar molecular compound. This means that it has a positive and negative end, or poles, due to the unequal sharing of electrons between the atoms in the molecule.

3. What is the pH of sulfuric acid?

The pH of sulfuric acid is approximately 0, making it a strong acid. This means that it has a high concentration of hydrogen ions in solution.

4. What are the uses of sulfuric acid?

Sulfuric acid is used in a variety of industries and applications, such as in the production of fertilizers, detergents, and various chemicals. It is also used in battery production, metal processing, and wastewater treatment.

5. Is sulfuric acid dangerous?

Sulfuric acid is a highly corrosive and toxic substance. It can cause severe burns if it comes in contact with the skin and can also cause respiratory problems if inhaled. Proper safety precautions should be taken when handling sulfuric acid.