Find Tractive Force of 3000KN Weight Train in 1 min

In summary, a train with a weight of 3000 KN started from rest and reached a velocity of 54 km/h after one minute. With the knowledge that the frictional resistance of the track is 5N/KN of the train's weight, the tractive force developed by the engine can be calculated by using the formula F = ma, where F is the resultant force and a is the resultant acceleration. The direction of the forces on the train are weight downwards, frictional resistance in the opposite direction of the tractive force. To find the tractive force, we can use the equation Resultant force = tractive force - frictional force. However, since the tractive force needs to be larger than the resultant force to
manal950
Hi all

1 ) A train of 3000 KN weight starts from rest and reached a velocity of 54 km/h after one min . if the frictional resistance of the track is 5N/KN of the train's weight . Find the tractive force developed by the engine ?

I don't understand what is mean "tractive force " ??

anyway I start solve the question

w = 3000 kN
mass = 305810
u = 0
v = 54 km/h

v = u + at
a = 0.25
F = m X a
F = 305810 X 0.25
76452.5 N

Physics news on Phys.org

manal950 said:
Hi all

1 ) A train of 3000 KN weight starts from rest and reached a velocity of 54 km/h after one min . if the frictional resistance of the track is 5N/KN of the train's weight . Find the tractive force developed by the engine ?

I don't understand what is mean "tractive force " ??

anyway I start solve the question

w = 3000 kN
mass = 305810
u = 0
v = 54 km/h

v = u + at
a = 0.25
F = m X a
F = 305810 X 0.25
76452.5 N

Right a = 0.25 m/s2 (Always remember to put your units).

In the formula F=ma, a is the resultant acceleration of the mass m (Train in this case). So F is the resultant force.

If you draw a free body diagram, what are the forces on the train? (The tractive force is essentially the force generated by the train itself).

force on the train
1 weight
2 frictional resistance
3 tractive force

now How I can find the tractive force

I don't know where is the other helper ..

manal950 said:
force on the train
1 weight
2 frictional resistance
3 tractive force

now How I can find the tractive force

In which direction do these forces act?

How would you find the resultant horizontal force?

I don't know how to find resultant horizontal force?

anyway the direction for each one weight dawn , frictional resistance opposite of tractive force

manal950 said:
I don't know how to find resultant horizontal force?

anyway the direction for each one weight dawn , frictional resistance opposite of tractive force

Right so let's say frictional force is going left and the tractive force is going right. The train is moving to the right. How would you calculate the value of the force that the train is moving with from these two forces?

in other words, if we are in a tug of war competition and you are pulling with 10 N and I am pulling with 11 N, what would be the resultant force in this case?

Resultant force = tractive force - frictional force

manal950 said:
Resultant force = tractive force - frictional force

Right!

So you calculated the resultant force in your first post. And they told you what the frictional force was. So you can rearrange to get the tractive force.

tractive force = Resultant force - frictional force
= 76452.5 - 3000
now this is correct ??

manal950 said:
= 76452.5 - 3000
now this is correct ??

Check the signs in your equation.

76452.5 + 3000 ... ?

manal950 said:
76452.5 + 3000 ... ?

That should work.

manal950 said:
= 76452.5 - 3000
now this is correct ??
Remember that the "tractive force", the force applied to the track by the locomotive, must be larger then the resultant force as it has to overcome the frictional force.

You can write it as "Resultant force- frictional force" if you remember to treat "frictional force" as negative.

now is my answer if fully correct ... ?

It should be.

my teacher said the answer is not correct

and he said why you don't multiply

5 X 3000

I don't know what he mean ?

and my other questions is the Resultant force
ma + tractive force

or only F = ma

Last edited:

manal950 said:
my teacher said the answer is not correct

and he said why you don't multiply

5 X 3000

I don't know what he mean ?

frictional resistance of the track is 5N/KN of the train's weight

5 X 3000

unit is Kn or N

and my other questions is the Resultant force
ma + tractive force

or only F = ma

What is the formula for calculating tractive force?

The formula for calculating tractive force is force = mass x acceleration. In this case, the force is 3000KN (kilonewtons) and the acceleration is 1 min, which can be converted to meters per second squared.

How do you determine the weight of the train?

The weight of the train can be determined by measuring the mass of the train and multiplying it by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). The resulting force will be in newtons (N), which can then be converted to kilonewtons (KN).

What other factors may affect the tractive force of the train?

The tractive force of the train may also be affected by the grade or slope of the track, the friction between the train and the tracks, and the air resistance. These factors can be accounted for in the calculation of acceleration.

Is 3000KN a significant tractive force for a train?

It depends on the context and size of the train. In general, 3000KN is a relatively high tractive force and would be considered significant for most trains.

How can the tractive force be increased?

The tractive force can be increased by increasing the mass of the train, increasing the acceleration, or reducing the resistance from factors such as the grade of the track or friction between the train and the tracks. However, these changes may also have other consequences and must be carefully considered for the safety and efficiency of the train.