How Do You Calculate Torsion Spring Parameters?

In summary: Hmm, I am having trouble understanding this. The Moment of inertia of a solid sphere is (2/5 * MR^2) and you're saying that since the rod it is connected to is not a rigid rod, it would have rotated about its center more? I don't see what changes in my attempt, is the parallel axis theorem still valid?
freshcoast
1. Problem statement.
1zwydli.jpg

2. Relative formulas
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_spring

3. Attempt.
Part a)
Since I am given the arc length S and radius, I use the equation s = r(theta) and I solve for theta, with r being the length of the rod and the addition of the radius of the ball.

Now I need to find torque, which is given since I know the radius and the force.

Now applying the equation t = k(theta) , I just solve for k.

Part b)
For this part I need to find the center of mass of the solid sphere (2/5mr^2) and I added distance from the axis of rotation by parallel axis theorem (ML^2)

Now I can find the period by using the equation 2(pi) * sqrt(I/k) since I have I and K.

Part c)
I'm thinking the work done by bending the spring would just be the equation 1/2k(theta^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
freshcoast said:
Part b)
For this part I need to find the center of mass of the solid sphere (2/5mr^2) and I added distance from the axis of rotation by parallel axis theorem (ML^2)
Be careful here. When the sphere has moved through an arc of θ, it will have rotated about its centre by rather more. This is because the rod is not a rigid rod sprung at its base.
Your answer for part c seems right.

haruspex said:
Be careful here. When the sphere has moved through an arc of θ, it will have rotated about its centre by rather more. This is because the rod is not a rigid rod sprung at its base.

Hmm, I am having trouble understanding this. The Moment of inertia of a solid sphere is (2/5 * MR^2) and you're saying that since the rod it is connected to is not a rigid rod, it would have rotated about its center more? I don't see what changes in my attempt, is the parallel axis theorem still valid? I think the ML^2 is for solid cylinders, is that the value that need's to be modified?

freshcoast said:
you're saying that since the rod it is connected to is not a rigid rod, it would have rotated about its center more? I don't see what changes in my attempt, is the parallel axis theorem still valid?
It is and it isn't, depending on how you are applying it.
If you think of the motion of the ball as consisting of two components, one about its mass centre, plus the motion of its mass centre about the base of the rod, then it has two corresponding moments of inertia, ml2 and 2mr2/5. In general, these two motions can have different angular accelerations, αl and αr. The total torque would then be αlml2 + 2αrmr2/5. In the common case, the two angular accelerations are the same, producing the usual parallel axis theorem result: αm(l2 + 2r2/5). But here they will be different.
With a little calculus, I can show that for small oscillations αr = 3αl/2. However, this is the third problem I've seen that you have posted from this source, and the other two both had serious flaws in their descriptions. So I'm not sure whether you are supposed to go into this level of analysis or treat the rod as rigid.

since the spring is being twisted and theta is the angle of deflection.

Thank you for providing your attempt at solving the torsion spring problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the relevant formulas and concepts. However, it would be helpful if you could provide more specific information about the problem statement and what you are attempting to solve. This will allow me to provide a more accurate and comprehensive response. Additionally, it would be beneficial to provide any assumptions or simplifications you have made in your attempt. Overall, your approach seems reasonable and I would suggest double checking your calculations to ensure accuracy.

1. What is a torsion spring?

A torsion spring is a type of mechanical spring that works by applying torque or twisting force. It is typically made of metal wire and is used to store rotational energy.

2. How does a torsion spring work?

A torsion spring works by twisting or coiling when a force is applied to it. This twisting action creates tension in the spring, which allows it to store energy. When the force is removed, the spring returns to its original position, releasing the stored energy.

3. What are the common applications of torsion springs?

Torsion springs have a wide range of applications, including in door hinges, vehicle suspensions, and mechanical watches. They are also commonly used in industrial equipment, such as garage doors, trampolines, and various types of machinery.

4. How do you calculate the torque of a torsion spring?

The torque of a torsion spring can be calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the center of the spring to the point where the force is applied. This is known as the lever arm. The formula for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the lever arm.

5. What are some common problems with torsion springs?

Some common problems with torsion springs include rust or corrosion, which can weaken the spring and cause it to break. Over time, the spring may also lose its tension and become less effective. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain torsion springs to prevent these issues.