is universe a closed system?

by shivakumar06
Tags: universe
shivakumar06
Sep30-13, 10:30 AM
P: 55
i wish to know if matter can be transferred from one universe to other universe? does our universe have valve like thing to let the matter in or out of the system?
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Astronomers: 'Tilt-a-worlds' could harbor life
Pushy neighbors force stellar twins to diverge
Image: Multiple protostars within IRAS 20324+4057
phinds
Sep30-13, 10:32 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,674
"Other universe" is highly speculative and is not supported by ANY evidence so your question has no answer.
BOAS
Sep30-13, 12:25 PM
PF Gold
P: 215
Quote Quote by shivakumar06 View Post
i wish to know if matter can be transferred from one universe to other universe? does our universe have valve like thing to let the matter in or out of the system?
I think an isolated system is the correct way of thinking about it.

IamBatman
Oct2-13, 04:30 AM
P: 6

is universe a closed system?

Quote Quote by phinds View Post
"Other universe" is highly speculative and is not supported by ANY evidence so your question has no answer.
What he said, but I sometimes like to speculate that there are many Universes, since the beginning of time we've been wrong about much of the Universe, and when I like to think about it, I say why not, it could be a possibility (Don't count on my words because there is no proof for this), we used to think there was just the solar system, but nope there's billions which is probably an understatement! Also then we discovered that we live in an island of stars which is our galaxy, that was only 1 of billions! So I like to think, why can't there be more than 1 universe or even billions, where they can transfer energy from one universe to the other!

Anyways, I'm getting ahead of myself and phinds has answered your question.
.Scott
Oct7-13, 10:02 AM
P: 420
Quote Quote by shivakumar06 View Post
There are two ways of defining "universe". One is anything that we can measure or affect. So, by that definition, the universe is a closed system.

Another way to define the universe is to say that it is the entire three-dimensional space across all of time. That what you're thinking of when you ask your question. I recall one alternate theory to the Big Bang that posits two 3D universes colliding.

From what I read, most basic particle physics seems to live in "Hilbert Space" with as many dimensions as you need. This would argue against little exchanges with other 3D planes - since whatever is holding us to 3D would likely collapse any matter local to our 3D space back into our space right away.

Register to reply