Hot Psychology? [No harm done?]

In summary, some people see walking over hot coals as insanity, while others see it as a motivational technique that teaches people to pursue their dreams.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Some see walking over hot coals as insanity. To others, it's a motivational technique that teaches people to pursue dreams. Either way, the offbeat activity is gaining popularity in Pinellas County, where there are now six certified firewalk instructors.

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/10/05/Tampabay/Hot_Psychology.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Feet have about 250,000 sweat glands each . Certainly walking over hot coals ( especially the first time ) produces some kind of apprehension . This is only natural .

When devotees become proficient at fire walking , they can move on to spoon bending .

To test the validity of sweat gland secretion as the main factor in "firewalking " , try putting the hot burning embers of a cigarette on your tongue ... then try putting it on the tip of your nose .

Actually, I think the simplest explanation of firewalking is the low thermal conductivity of the coals and ashes involved. So if you move fast enough, your feet don't even heat up. Try the same trick on hot metal plates and it won't work.

Excellent FZ , you might be correct . How 'bout a combination of speed and wetness ? Also , my example involved saliva not sweat and maybe a poor example . It was the only one similar that I had experience with .

The one guy in Ivan's link stated that the first time to transverse the coals was the easiest , but it got harder to accomplish after that . This is (imo) because the moisture barrier was diminished .

I watched a TV program (national geographic?) and read a book about firewalking few years ago. I remember there was a group of (30 If I Remember Correctly) scientists did a firewalk (in 1997 IIRC) since they all knew it wouldn't hurt them as long as they didn't stand still on the coal. It really needs courage and strength to take the first step. After watching the tv program, I thought if my friends and I got lost in a primitive forest and encountered a primitive society which forced us to walk over hot coal before letting go of us, I'd told my friends not to worry and I'd be the first one to walk over hot coals.

I remember about 2 weeks ago, I poured liquid nitrogen on my left hand intentionally. I knew pretty well it wouldn't hurt me but I did struggled for a while before I actually did that.

Edit:
it's a motivational technique that teaches people to pursue dreams
I think if those people who want to boost their confident by firewalking know it can be in fact explained by principles in thermodynamics, their sense of satisfaction won't be that much.

Last edited:
The one guy in Ivan's link stated that the first time to transverse the coals was the easiest , but it got harder to accomplish after that . This is (imo) because the moisture barrier was diminished .

I wonder if the moisture barrier was reduced because he was not as nervous on the later attempts. The more nervous you are, the more you sweat.

Njorl

1. What is "Hot Psychology?"

"Hot Psychology" is a term used to describe the study of the influence of emotions on human behavior and decision making. It focuses on how emotions, such as anger, fear, love, and pleasure, can affect our thoughts, actions, and relationships.

2. How does "Hot Psychology" differ from traditional psychology?

Traditional psychology focuses on understanding and treating mental disorders, while "Hot Psychology" focuses on the role of emotions in everyday life and how they can impact our behavior. It also incorporates concepts from other fields, such as neuroscience and evolutionary psychology, to better understand the connection between emotions and behavior.

3. Is "Hot Psychology" a legitimate field of study?

Yes, "Hot Psychology" is a legitimate and growing field of study. It has gained recognition in recent years as researchers and psychologists have recognized the significant impact emotions have on our thoughts, behaviors, and relationships.

4. How can "Hot Psychology" be applied in real-life situations?

"Hot Psychology" can be applied in many real-life situations, such as in the workplace, relationships, and decision making. By understanding the role of emotions, we can better manage and regulate our own emotions and understand how others may be feeling. This can lead to improved communication, conflict resolution, and decision making.

5. Is there any harm in studying "Hot Psychology?"

No, there is no harm in studying "Hot Psychology." In fact, it can be beneficial to understand the role of emotions in our lives and how they can impact our behavior. However, as with any field of study, it is important to approach it with a critical and ethical mindset, and to be aware of potential biases and limitations in research.

Back