Male birth control pill - when will it be released?

• Thread starter Captain Zappo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control
In summary, there has been research into developing a male birth control pill since late 2004 and mid 2005. However, recent news about the product's release date or effectiveness has not been reported. Many doubt its success due to the difficulty of men remembering to take the pill before sex. Current methods of male birth control are not effective or have significant side-effects.
Captain Zappo
I have been reading about the research being poured into the development of a male birth control pill. The articles I read were dated in late 2004 and mid 2005. I was wondering if anyone has any more recent news about this product (when it's scheduled to come to market, etc...)?

-Zach

Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly, this product will not succeed even if it is 100% effective.

Like, what guy will remember to take it?

JasonRox said:
Honestly, this product will not succeed even if it is 100% effective.

Like, what guy will remember to take it?

Yah unless its like a pill that you can keep in your wallet, it won't be successful.

Even then it will need to realize sex is abotu to happen and jump into your mouth and force itself down your throat since ya, who the heck will remember?

Pengwuino said:
Yah unless its like a pill that you can keep in your wallet, it won't be successful.

Even then it will need to realize sex is abotu to happen and jump into your mouth and force itself down your throat since ya, who the heck will remember?

Well, I'd remember to take it before sex. I never forget to put a condom on.

I don't know of anything that's even close to going to market (of course I could be wrong if there's some pharmaceutical company quietly working on something). Nothing that I know of was sufficiently effective or without side-effects to be a feasible method of birth control in men. The challenge is that while in women, it's fairly easy to disrupt that one egg ovulated each month, in men, the millions of sperm constantly being produced are very difficult to completely shut down, so they may be sub-fertile, but not sterile.

1. When will the male birth control pill be available on the market?

The exact release date for the male birth control pill is currently unknown. The pill is still in the testing and development phase, and must undergo extensive clinical trials before it can be approved by the FDA and released to the public.

2. How effective will the male birth control pill be compared to other forms of birth control?

The male birth control pill is expected to be just as effective as other forms of birth control, such as the female birth control pill or condoms. However, it is important to note that no form of birth control is 100% effective, and it is still possible for pregnancy to occur even with the use of the male birth control pill.

3. Will there be any side effects associated with taking the male birth control pill?

As with any medication, there is a potential for side effects when taking the male birth control pill. However, the pill is currently undergoing extensive testing to ensure its safety and efficacy. Any potential side effects will be thoroughly evaluated and disclosed before the pill is released to the public.

4. Will the male birth control pill affect fertility in the long term?

The male birth control pill is designed to be reversible, meaning that fertility should return to normal once the pill is no longer being taken. However, more research and long-term studies are needed to fully understand the potential effects on fertility.

5. Will the male birth control pill protect against sexually transmitted infections (STIs)?

No, the male birth control pill will not protect against STIs. It is important to continue using condoms or other forms of protection to reduce the risk of contracting STIs, even when using the male birth control pill.