Ugrad research assistant position

In summary, the individual is a double major in EE and physics at an engineering university and hopes to attend graduate school for a career in academia and research. The university recently received a large fuel cell research grant and opened a new research lab, but the minimum GPA requirement for the research assistant positions is a 3.75 and the individual's GPA is 3.34. They are interested in the positions but are not sure if they want to pursue fuel cell research long term. They plan to speak with the professor heading the program about their GPA, but are also seeking advice. They have a chemistry minor and are a dual major in EE and physics, but have no experience with fuel cells and have not attended alternative energy group meetings. They have
leright
I currently go to an engineering university double majoring in EE and physics. I hope to attend graduate school and pursue a career in academia and research. My university normally isn't big on research, but the ME and civil engineering programs do a bit of research (carbon fiber reinforcement in bridges, and automotive stuff). The university has just received a pretty large fuel cell research grant and opened a new fuel cell research lab. The research professor running the lab is looking for an ME research assistant and an EE research assistant and I am interested (I'm not sure if I want to go into fuel cell research long term though...I am actually most interested in semiconductor and solid state electronics). However, the minimum GPA requirement is a 3.75 and I have a 3.34. From your experience, do you think this will be a major problem? I am going to go to the prof heading the program on Monday about this, but I would like your opinion.

I also have not had any experience with fuel cells before (don't know anything about them yet), but I do have a chem minor and I am a dual major in EE and physics. I also hadn't attended any of the alternative energy group meetings, and I am sure there are EEs that have that have higher GPAs.

However, I really would really like this position since it at least gets me some research experience under my belt. I am going to definitely get into a research team at another university for an REU/SURF next summer (hopefully in solid state electronics or physics), but this summer I want to do this.

I just started an internship with Takata Corp. (safety systems for the automotive industry), but I don't think it provides the kind of experience I need to meet my research goals, and grad schools would rather see the research assistantship.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
leright said:
I currently go to an engineering university double majoring in EE and physics. I hope to attend graduate school and pursue a career in academia and research. My university normally isn't big on research, but the ME and civil engineering programs do a bit of research (carbon fiber reinforcement in bridges, and automotive stuff). The university has just received a pretty large fuel cell research grant and opened a new fuel cell research lab. The research professor running the lab is looking for an ME research assistant and an EE research assistant and I am interested (I'm not sure if I want to go into fuel cell research long term though...I am actually most interested in semiconductor and solid state electronics). However, the minimum GPA requirement is a 3.75 and I have a 3.34. From your experience, do you think this will be a major problem? I am going to go to the prof heading the program on Monday about this, but I would like your opinion.

I also have not had any experience with fuel cells before (don't know anything about them yet), but I do have a chem minor and I am a dual major in EE and physics. I also hadn't attended any of the alternative energy group meetings, and I am sure there are EEs that have that have higher GPAs.

However, I really would really like this position since it at least gets me some research experience under my belt. I am going to definitely get into a research team at another university for an REU/SURF next summer (hopefully in solid state electronics or physics), but this summer I want to do this.

I just started an internship with Takata Corp. (safety systems for the automotive industry), but I don't think it provides the kind of experience I need to meet my research goals, and grad schools would rather see the research assistantship.

What do you think?

If your GPA is that much lower, than I say you most likely won't get it.

I'd try anyways. You should always try.

I understand your interest in pursuing research opportunities and your concerns about meeting the minimum GPA requirement for the Ugrad research assistant position. It is important to note that GPA is not the only factor that determines a successful research experience. Your dual major in EE and physics, along with your minor in chemistry, show a strong foundation in STEM fields that are relevant to fuel cell research. Additionally, your interest in semiconductor and solid state electronics aligns well with the research focus of the professor running the lab.

I believe it would be beneficial for you to speak with the research professor about your interest in the position and your background. Your willingness to learn and your passion for research may outweigh the GPA requirement. It is also important to mention your plans for future research experiences, such as an REU/SURF program, which shows your commitment to pursuing a career in academia and research.

Furthermore, your current internship with Takata Corp. may not provide the same type of research experience, but it still demonstrates your ability to work in a research environment and your interest in the automotive industry. This is valuable experience that can complement your future research endeavors.

In conclusion, while meeting the minimum GPA requirement is important, it is not the only factor that determines a successful research assistantship. I encourage you to speak with the research professor and express your interest and qualifications for the position. Your passion for research and your strong academic background make you a strong candidate for the position. Good luck!

1. What is a Ugrad research assistant position?

A Ugrad research assistant position is a paid or unpaid internship or job opportunity for undergraduate students to gain hands-on experience in conducting research in their field of study.

2. How do I find a Ugrad research assistant position?

You can find Ugrad research assistant positions by checking with your university's career center or research department, networking with professors and graduate students, and searching online job databases.

3. What are the benefits of being a Ugrad research assistant?

The benefits of being a Ugrad research assistant include gaining valuable research experience, building relationships with professors and graduate students, enhancing your resume, and potentially receiving academic credit or funding for your work.

4. Do I need prior research experience to apply for a Ugrad research assistant position?

No, prior research experience is not always required for a Ugrad research assistant position. However, having relevant coursework or skills in the field of research may increase your chances of being selected.

5. Is a Ugrad research assistant position only available in certain fields of study?

No, Ugrad research assistant positions can be found in a variety of fields including science, social sciences, humanities, and more. It is important to research and apply for positions that align with your interests and academic background.