Best Options for Online High School Chemistry Summer Classes?

In summary, the conversation revolves around whether or not it is recommended to take a chemistry (high school) summer class online. Some suggest taking world history instead, while others believe that self-motivation is important for online classes. It is also mentioned that online classes may not include lab work, which may be a disadvantage. The conversation also touches on the preference for learning through lectures or self-study. Some participants are also looking for recommendations for a good online chemistry course or textbook.
jamin123
Would anyone here recommend attending chemistry (high school) summer class online?

My high school freshman wants to go to summer school, but it conflicts with marching band; therefore, she plans to take the class online.
I suggest she takes world history, but she thinks it will be too much reading for the summer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of high schools offering online classes, but there's no reason she shouldn't take advantage of such classes if they are available.

If the choice is simply between chemistry and world history -- and both classes must eventually be taken anyway -- then let her pick which one she would like best. The biggest disadvantage of distance learning is that it requires the student to have a good bit of self-motivation. If she enjoys the class she's taking, she'll put more effort into it.

Also, I'd expect any high-school chemistry class to include some lab work. If the online class omits the lab work, perhaps it's not a good choice. The lab work is often the most entertaining and engaging part of the course.

- Warren

Last edited:
Personally I've found that in a high school history class there isn't anything that I couldn't learn by just reading the textbook.

As far as chemistry goes I find that I learn it better when I have someone lecture the material first.

Of course this varies from person to person so there's no guarantee that she is the same way.

Same situation --suggestions welcome!

I am in the identical situation -- my 10th grader wants to take chemistry this summer so she can go ahead and take the AP. her adviser suggested she take a course at a community college but i can't find one that doesn't start before she gets out of school. if anyone knows of a good college online course for entry level chem, please let me know. or if there is a particular text that you think is a good one to study from, that would be helpful too! thanks all - amira

1. What is an online chemistry summer class?

An online chemistry summer class is a virtual course that covers various topics in chemistry, such as general chemistry, organic chemistry, or biochemistry. It is typically offered during the summer months and allows students to complete coursework and participate in lectures and discussions remotely, without having to physically attend a traditional classroom.

2. Who can take an online chemistry summer class?

Anyone who meets the prerequisites for the course can take an online chemistry summer class. Prerequisites may vary depending on the specific course and institution, but they typically include a basic understanding of chemistry concepts and math skills. High school students, college students, and working professionals looking to further their education can all enroll in an online chemistry summer class.

3. What are the benefits of taking an online chemistry summer class?

Some potential benefits of taking an online chemistry summer class include flexibility in scheduling, the ability to learn at your own pace, and the opportunity to review course materials multiple times. Online classes also often have interactive features, such as virtual labs and discussion forums, that can enhance the learning experience.

4. How do online chemistry summer classes work?

Online chemistry summer classes typically use a learning management system (LMS) to deliver course materials, such as lectures, assignments, and quizzes. Students may also participate in live or recorded lectures, virtual labs, and online discussions with instructors and classmates. Assignments and exams are typically submitted through the LMS, and grades are posted online.

5. Can I transfer credits from an online chemistry summer class?

Yes, credits from an online chemistry summer class can usually be transferred to other institutions. However, it is important to check with your specific institution or program to ensure that the credits will transfer and count towards your degree requirements. Additionally, some programs may have limitations on the number of online credits that can be transferred.