Understanding Quantum Jump and Photodisintegration in Light and Atomic Nuclei

• Thread starter EIRE2003
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking if the energy of the photon is what causes the nucleus to break down or if the photon has some other property that contributes to the process? Originally posted by EIRE2003 Photodisintegration - Light is made up of photons which travel in the form of waves. When a high energy photon collides with an atomic nucleus, the nucleus disintegrates, in some cases a neutron is knocked out. But a photon has no mass. Does dis happen becos of the energy it carries? Maybe with photondisintergration, the photon does provide enough energy to break any forces holding the neutron in the atomOriginally posted by EIRE2003 I
EIRE2003
Quantum Jump - Is this wen an electron jumps to a higher energy level when absorbed energy and when it falls down and energy is den emitted as light. ?

Photodisintegration - Light is made up of photons which travel in the form of waves. wen a high energy photon collides with an atomic nucleus, the nucleus disintegrates, in some cases a neutron is knocked out. But a photon has no mass. Does dis happen becos of the energy it carries?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe with photondisintergration, the photon does provide enough energy to break any forces holding the neutron in the atom

Originally posted by EIRE2003
But a photon has no mass.

No, it has no mass, but it has momentum. That is how light sails work, with photonic momentum. Surely if a quanta packet can move an object to high speeds, it could disintegrate a nucleus? Just a thought.

I think it is oversimplification to regard photon and the target as two colliding balls. I would also like to hear somebody explainig the ineraction act itself between photon and other systems.

Though, in my (doubtful) opinion, photon should be considered as 'energy delivery man'. It just makes the difference in energy, that's the whole point of being a photon. There are no other, more fundamental processes happening when a photon whacks its target because photon is that process.

Again I have to underline that this is just my opinion. (which could be wrong. Very wrong ;-> )

Last edited:
I suppose i always thought that a photon is aborbed by a sub-atomic particle, which becomes excited, vibrates more violently until it reaches its ground state AND/OR it releases/transmits the energy in the form of a photon itself.

Sorry, don't think i have thought about it any more than that!

Originally posted by EIRE2003
Quantum Jump - Is this wen an electron jumps to a higher energy level when absorbed energy and when it falls down and energy is den emitted as light. ?
Yes.

Photodisintegration - Light is made up of photons which travel in the form of waves.
[/qupte]
That's not quite accurate. In quantum theory a photon has both particle aspects and wave aspects.

.. wen a high energy photon collides with an atomic nucleus, the nucleus disintegrates, ..
?
Do you mean that it fission/splits? Please defined disintegrate
But a photon has no mass. Does dis happen becos of the energy it carries?
When people say that they mean that a photon has zero proper mass. A photon has a non-zero relativistic mass which can be though, in special relativity, as the ratio of the photon's momentum to the photons's speed c. Thus a photon possesses inertia.

For the definition of inertial mass in the context of special relativity please see --
http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/sr/inertial_mass.htm

A highly energetic photon, one which has a higher frequency than the photons of "hard x-rays" have the potential of interacting and influencing nucleonic states. This potential might include hard x-rays(as opposed to "soft") but I'm not sure.
In any event, a single photon of those energy levels is likely be less than required to cause nucleon disintergration. Perhaps lighter affected atoms such as helium, etc... tell a different story in this scenario.
Hmmm...

1. What is "2 Questions"?

"2 Questions" is a scientific method used to gather information and test hypotheses by asking two specific questions related to a research topic or problem.

2. How does "2 Questions" work?

The "2 Questions" method involves identifying two specific questions that can be answered through research and experimentation. These questions should be focused and testable, and the answers should provide insight into the research topic or problem.

3. What are the benefits of using "2 Questions"?

Using the "2 Questions" method can help scientists gather meaningful and relevant data, as well as focus their research and analysis. It can also lead to deeper understanding and potential solutions to a research problem.

4. Can "2 Questions" be used in any scientific field?

Yes, "2 Questions" can be used in any scientific field as long as the questions are relevant to the research topic and can be answered through scientific methods.

5. How do I come up with the two questions for "2 Questions"?

The two questions for "2 Questions" should be related to the research topic or problem and should be focused and specific. It may be helpful to brainstorm and consult with other scientists or experts in the field to come up with the most effective questions.