Can You Complete a Calc-Based Physics Course Online in Under 6 Weeks?

• Thread starter C++Guy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, it is recommended to look into accredited online courses and reach out to your college for recommendations to complete your calculus-based physics requirement.
C++Guy
Hi,

I'm a Computer Science major, and need to take two semesters of calculus based physics to satisfy my degree requirements. I need to take General Physics I & II which are both calc based. I can take General Physics II in the Fall, but I need to complete General Physics I over the summer. I actually took the course last Fall at my college, and would have passed the course with a B or B+, but blew the Final Exam, which was worth a major part of our grade. I attended all the classes, labs, did all the homework, exams, etc... and understood the material pretty well, but some things came up at the end of the semester unrelated to the course, and I ended up trying to cram a semesters worth of material at the last minute, and ended up failing the exam. I told the professor If I got anything less than a "C" for the course, to simply give me a "W" and he did.

But anyways, does anyone know of any Online Calc Based Physics Course I can begin and complete at my own pace. I'm looking for a course I can complete in 5 or 6 weeks. I've found a few online physics courses, but they require you to stay in the course for a minimum of 8 weeks or two months, and I'm looking for a course I can finish as quickly as I like. Like I said, I've seen all the material before, and want to quickly knock out this degree requirement.

I've included the course description below, and the eleven topics we actually covered when I took the course. Also, at my college they only require you to be in Calc I concurrently to take the course, and even if you haven't taken calculus, they don't check to give you an idea of the math requirements. But still, its a calculus based course, as I took it, and it requires many topics from calc.

General Physics I (Calc Based) - Deals with composition of vectors, equilibrium, moments, Newton's Laws, work, and energy.

1) Units, Physical Quantities, Experimental Uncertainty
2) Vectors
3) Motion in a Straight Line
4) Motion in Two or Three Dimensions
5) Newton's Laws of Motion
6) Applying Newton's Laws
7) Work and Kinetic Energy
8) Potential Energy, Conservation of Energy
9) Momentum, Impulse, Collisions
10) Rigid Body Rotation
11) Dynamics of Rotational Motion

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your situation and the course description. It sounds like you have a good understanding of the material and have a clear goal in mind for completing this requirement. I would recommend looking into online courses offered by accredited universities or reputable online education platforms. These courses are typically structured and paced in a way that ensures students have enough time to fully grasp the material, but you may be able to complete it at a faster pace if you are familiar with the content. I would also suggest reaching out to the professor or department at your college to see if they have any recommendations for online courses that align with the topics covered in your previous course. Additionally, you may want to review the course syllabus or textbook from your previous course to refresh your memory on the specific topics and concepts that were covered. Good luck with your search and I hope you are able to find a suitable online course to complete this requirement.

Hello there,

I can understand your need to complete your degree requirements in a timely manner. I would recommend looking into reputable online universities that offer a 6-week course in calculus based physics. Some universities may have accelerated summer programs specifically designed for students in your situation. It is important to ensure that the online course you choose is accredited and covers all the necessary topics in depth. Additionally, I would suggest brushing up on your calculus skills before starting the course to ensure a smooth understanding of the material. Best of luck in your search and studies!

1. What is Calc Based Physics Online?

Calc Based Physics Online is an online course that teaches the fundamental principles of physics using calculus as a mathematical tool. It covers topics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics.

2. Is this course suitable for beginners?

Yes, this course is designed for students who have a basic understanding of calculus and are new to physics. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject and does not assume any prior knowledge of physics.

3. What are the benefits of taking Calc Based Physics Online?

Taking Calc Based Physics Online allows you to learn at your own pace and from the comfort of your own home. It also offers interactive learning materials, practice problems, and access to experienced instructors for guidance and support.

4. Can I earn college credit for completing this course?

Yes, many colleges and universities accept Calc Based Physics Online as equivalent to their in-person physics courses. However, it is always best to check with your school's admissions or academic department to confirm.

5. How much time should I dedicate to this course each week?

The recommended time commitment for this course is 6-8 hours per week. This includes watching lectures, completing practice problems, and studying for exams. However, the exact amount of time may vary depending on each individual's learning pace.