Police Question: How Far Does a Speeder Get Before Being Overtaken?

• Thread starter arizona_cards_11
  • Start date
In summary, a speeder passes a parked police car at 30.0 m/s. The police car starts from rest with a uniform acceleration of 2.44 m/s^2. Using the formula s=ut+at^2/2, we can find that it takes 24.6 seconds for the police car to catch up to the speeder and the speeder travels 738 meters before being overtaken.
arizona_cards_11
Police Question...

Question:

A speeder passes a parked police car at 30.0 m/s. The police car starts from rest with a uniform acceleration of 2.44 m/s^2.

a) How much time passes before the speeder is overtaken my the police car? Ans: 24.6 s

b) How far does the speeder get before being overtaken by the police car?
Ans: 738 m

My Questions/Work:

To the best of my knowledge, we know the following...

Cop Vi: 0.0 m/s
Cop Accel: 2.44 m/s2
Spdr V: 30 m/s

a) Formula: Vf = Vi + AT ?

What should I use as the Cop's Final Velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume you were given those answers...

From the formula you give [tex]v=u+at[/tex], you need to integrate to get one for distance [tex]s=ut+at^2/2[/tex].

You can then equate this formula using the data for both cars - it will be a quadratic with 2 solutions - one for the time when the cars are together at t=0 and the other for the time when they catch up.

When you've got this time, the distance is easily found using the formula again.

I haven't done this since school - it was a struggle remembering the method :biggrin:

I would recommend using the formula d = vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2 to calculate the distance traveled by both the speeder and the police car. In this case, the initial velocity for the police car is 0 m/s, and the acceleration is 2.44 m/s^2. The initial velocity for the speeder is 30 m/s, and we can solve for the time it takes for the police car to catch up to the speeder using the formula vf = vi + at. We can then plug in the calculated time into the distance formula to determine how far the speeder has traveled before being overtaken by the police car. This will provide a more accurate answer than just using the final velocity for the police car.

1. How is the speed of a vehicle determined?

The speed of a vehicle is determined by using a speedometer, which measures the rotation of the wheels and calculates the speed based on the diameter of the tires. Some vehicles also have GPS technology that can accurately determine the speed.

2. What factors can affect the speed of a vehicle?

The speed of a vehicle can be affected by various factors such as the condition of the road, weather conditions, the weight of the vehicle, and any mechanical issues. Additionally, the driver's reaction time and level of fatigue can also impact the speed of a vehicle.

3. How does a police officer determine the speed of a vehicle?

A police officer can determine the speed of a vehicle by using a radar gun, which uses radio waves to measure the speed of the vehicle. They can also use pacing, where they follow the vehicle and match their speed to determine the speed of the vehicle.

4. How far can a vehicle travel before being overtaken by a police officer?

The distance a vehicle can travel before being overtaken by a police officer depends on various factors such as the speed of the vehicle, the speed of the police vehicle, and the road conditions. It is difficult to determine an exact distance as it can vary in each situation.

5. What happens if a speeder is not stopped immediately by a police officer?

If a speeder is not stopped immediately by a police officer, they may continue to travel at the same speed until they are stopped or until they reach their destination. However, if the police officer has recorded their speed using a radar gun or pacing, they may be issued a speeding ticket at a later time.