Mastering Math: Tips for Understanding and Learning on the Fly

• Thread starter Poop-Loops
  • Start date
In summary, the author is having trouble learning math "on the fly" and thinks there is a way to "pick up" the material while it is being taught. The author suggests reading and learning the material before class. The author has found success by doing this.
Poop-Loops
Ok, bad pun.

But since like Calculus in High-School (err... 3 years ago?) I've had trouble learning math "on the fly", i.e. as it is being taught by the teacher. All the notation and derivation flies over my head during class and I have to do it myself later by reading the book and doing examples. That's a waste of time. Is there a way I can "pick up" the math while it's being taught? Some way of thinking or something? How did you learn to do it?

By the way, I've already taken multivariable calc, linear algebra, and Diff EQ's (ODE's), so I'm kind of late in asking this, I think...

Physics news on Phys.org
Read the material before you go to class.

In your case it seems like you just need practice. The way demonstrations are conducted and the toolbox of "tricks" used in solving problems is not infinite, and after a while, you know them all and its easier (possible!) to follow what the teacher's doing as he is doing it.

But for now, the best thing you can do imo is what you're already doing, i.e. re-do step by step what is done in the book and by the teacher.

I agree with reading and learning the material before class. The majority of the learning does not take place in class. Class is just a way to see if you can follow the line of though, as well as making notes to some people. Although that means more time for study, sometimes, depending on who you are, it can be successful.

I don't look at lecture as a way of learning the material per se; I view it as a way of re-enforcing what I've already learned on my own by studying the book and working problems (lots of problems if necessary). I use lecture to clarify anything I may be confused about and solidify the things I'm fairly confident with. I find this to be the most efficient and (more importantly) effective way of learning math.

Poop-Loops said:
...I've had trouble learning math "on the fly", i.e. as it is being taught by the teacher. All the notation and derivation flies over my head during class and I have to do it myself later by reading the book and doing examples.

I have this exact same problem.

It's not a problem, it's a natural part of the learning process of advanced math/physics.

Well I feel really stupid when the people around me answer the professor is asking (i.e. "What goes in the denominator?", "Which is a series for...?", etc.) and I'm just stumped.

In my physics classes, I can understand it when the prof is doing something conceptual, i.e. explaining a problem like a PV chart or something, where it's not really math intensive, it's conceptually intensive. Then the notation is no longer a barrier for me.

I'll read before class, then. This is my first quarter at a university (went from a community college), and the classes are a lot harder, but I'll be damned if I'm going to fail.

1. How can I improve my understanding of math?

One way to improve your understanding of math is to practice consistently and regularly. This will help you build a strong foundation and improve your problem-solving skills. You can also try different study techniques, such as using flashcards, watching instructional videos, or working with a study group.

2. How can I learn math quickly?

The best way to learn math quickly is to break it down into smaller, manageable chunks. Start by mastering the basics and then gradually move on to more complex concepts. Additionally, practicing regularly and using visual aids can also help you learn math quickly.

3. How can I stay motivated while learning math?

One way to stay motivated while learning math is to set achievable goals for yourself. This will give you a sense of accomplishment and keep you motivated to continue learning. You can also try to relate math to real-life situations and see how it can be applied in everyday scenarios.

4. How can I overcome my fear of math?

Fear of math is common, but it can be overcome by changing your mindset and focusing on the process rather than the end result. Try to approach math with a positive attitude and seek help from classmates or instructors if needed. Remember that making mistakes is a part of the learning process and can help you improve.

5. How can I use math in my everyday life?

Math is used in various aspects of everyday life, such as budgeting, cooking, and even in sports and games. You can practice using math in these real-life situations to improve your understanding and see its practical applications. Additionally, understanding math concepts can also help you make informed decisions and solve problems more effectively.