Can Sliding Lock Mechanisms Support a Bunk Bed in a Caravan?

• Thread starter cabellos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a bunk bed for a caravan as a mechanical engineering project. The proposed design includes using sliding lock mechanisms similar to those used for drawers. There is a question about whether these mechanisms can be attached vertically to the wall of the caravan and if they can support the weight of the bed and a user weighing 90kg. The conversation also clarifies that the term "caravan" refers to a mobile home, not a car. The weight of the bed and the load it can support are mentioned, but there is no specification for the g-forces that the bed may experience while the caravan is in motion.
cabellos
Caravan bunk bed design...

Hi,

I am in the process of designing a bunkbed for a caravan as my 2nd year mech eng design project. I have come up with a design show in the link

Im thinking of using a sliding lock mechanism very much similar to the one shown here http://www.misumi-europe.com/eucatalogue/pdf/04/E_0293-0294.pdf" . These are meant for drawers though so would it be possible to attach these vertically to the wall of the caravan. The bunk weighs approximately 12kg and when in use should be able to support a user weight of 90kg - could someone please give me an idea and suggestions as to how i would go about the necessary force calculations to determine how to design the two swing down supports i have in my initial idea. Would 2 of these slide rails be able to support this load in use?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated
Cabellos

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry if I'm missing the obvious, but what do you mean by caravan? Do you mean a Dodge Caravan minivan? Or do you mean caravan in some other context?

i mean a caravan - mobile home. not the car.

cabellos said:
i mean a caravan - mobile home. not the car.
Ah, got it. Although here in the States, mobile homes are trailer homes that are unhitched and do not move, and we call the mobile ones "Recreational Vehicles"

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=recreational+vehicle

One last clarifying question, and then I'll get out of the way (I'm not an ME). You mention the 12kg bed weight and 90kg load, but you do not specify the g-forces that the bed may experience while the caravan is driving over bumpy roads. Is there a specification for these transient accelerations?

1. What are the benefits of a caravan bunk bed design?

A caravan bunk bed design allows for more sleeping space in a small area, making it ideal for families or groups. It also maximizes the use of vertical space, leaving more room for other furniture or storage.

2. Are caravan bunk beds safe for children?

Yes, as long as they are designed and installed correctly, caravan bunk beds can be safe for children. It is important to follow weight restrictions and use proper safety measures, such as guardrails, to prevent falls.

3. Can caravan bunk beds be customized?

Yes, many caravan bunk bed designs offer the option for customization, such as choosing the size, shape, and materials used. However, it is important to ensure that any customization does not compromise the safety or stability of the bed.

4. What is the weight limit for a caravan bunk bed?

The weight limit for a caravan bunk bed will vary depending on the design and materials used. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and not exceed the recommended weight limit to ensure the safety of those using the bed.

5. Can a caravan bunk bed be converted into two separate beds?

Some caravan bunk bed designs offer the option to convert the bed into two separate beds, which can be useful for accommodating different sleeping arrangements. However, not all designs may have this feature, so it is important to check with the manufacturer before purchasing.