Discrete Mathematics: Solving for x in a System of Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the rational value of x given a set of equations involving integers and nonzero real numbers. The individual has attempted to solve for x but is unsure of the algebraic steps needed. They receive assistance and ultimately determine that x is rational.
tennesseewiz

Homework Statement

Suppose a, b, and c are integers and x, y, and z are nonzero real numbers that satisfy the following equations:

xy/(x+y)=a
xz/(x+z)=b
yz/(y+z)=c

Is x rational? If so, express it as a ratio of two integers.

Homework Equations

I substituted a lot of equations and I know I need x to equal something. What I got was:

x= abcx/(acx+bcx-abx-abc)

However I don't know how to solve for x (my algebra skills suck... don't ask me how I made it to discrete mathematics...)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if I solve for x, I can basically work out the problem on my own.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation with "c" in it relates "y" and "z", perhaps if you multiply the equation with "a" and the equation with "b" together, you could find some place to substitute some expression with "c" in for some combination of "y" and "z".

Take the reciprocal of both sides. The expression you will have on the right can be separated into four terms. The x will cancel out in the first 3 terms. In the 4th term abc will cancel out, leaving -1/x. Now add +1/x to both sides, you will have 2/x on the left. (On the right, -1/x will cancel out.) Then divide both sides by 2. Everything on the right are integers, which means 1/x is rational. If 1/x is rational, so is x.

Oh my gosh, thanks! It's sad that I got the answer now after I had to turn in my homework, but at least I understand it now! :D

1. What is discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete (countable) objects and structures, rather than continuous ones. It involves the study of mathematical structures such as graphs, networks, and logical propositions, as well as techniques for analyzing and solving problems in these structures.

2. What are some applications of discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics has a wide range of applications in various fields, including computer science, cryptography, economics, engineering, and physics. Some specific applications include coding theory, network analysis, and database design.

3. What are the main concepts in discrete mathematics?

The main concepts in discrete mathematics include sets, functions, relations, logic, combinatorics, and graph theory. These concepts are used to model and solve problems involving discrete structures and objects.

4. What are the differences between discrete mathematics and continuous mathematics?

The main difference between discrete mathematics and continuous mathematics is that discrete mathematics deals with countable objects and structures, while continuous mathematics deals with uncountable objects and structures. Additionally, discrete mathematics typically involves discrete functions and relations, whereas continuous mathematics involves continuous functions and relations.

5. What are some common techniques used in discrete mathematics?

Some common techniques used in discrete mathematics include induction, proof by contradiction, combinatorial reasoning, and algorithm design. These techniques are used to prove theorems, solve problems, and analyze algorithms in discrete structures.