Net External Force on Crate: Magnitude & Direction

In summary, the crate is being pulled to the right with a net force of 50.9N and upward with a net force of 420.3N. The magnitude of the net external force on the crate is 423.3708N, and the direction of the net external force is 420.3/423.3708, or approximately 83.2 degrees counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.
anglum

Homework Statement

A crate is puled to the right with a force of 75.3N and to the left with a force of 126.2N
it is pulled upward with a force of 652.2N and downward with a force of 231.9N

A - what is the net external force in the x direction

B- what is the net external force in the y direction

C - what is the magnitude of the net external force on the crate?

D - what is the direction of the net external force on the crate (measured from the positive x-axis witth counterclockwise positive) answer in units of degrees?

A - 75.3N-126.2N = -50.9N or 50.9N to the left??

B - 652.2N - 231.9N = 420.3N or 420.3N up?

c - the magnitude is the then 420.3N up and 50.9N to the left correct?

D - not sure how to do this part?

Physics news on Phys.org
for c do i use the pythagorean theorem?

and for d do i use sin or cos based off of my answer for c to find the angle of the force?

The components of the force in each direction form a right angle triangle. You can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant vector. You can also use trig to find the angle you need.

are my answers correct for A and B..

and then for C i would do

50.9 squared + 420.3 squared = X squared

x = 423.3708 would be the magnitude correct?

and then it is the sin of 420.3/423.3708 would give me the answer to D?

Your answers for the first three parts look reasonable to me. You're on the right track for (d), the question asks you for the angle from the positive x-axis. Have you drawn out a diagram of the directions of the net forces? What angle does sin(420.3/423.3708) give you in that diagram?

1. What is the net external force on a crate?

The net external force on a crate is the sum of all the external forces acting on the crate. These forces can include gravity, friction, and applied forces.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of the net external force on a crate?

The magnitude of the net external force on a crate can be calculated by adding all the external forces acting on the crate together. This can be done using vector addition, where the forces are represented by arrows and their lengths represent their magnitudes.

3. What is the direction of the net external force on a crate?

The direction of the net external force on a crate is determined by the direction of the external forces acting on the crate. If the forces are acting in the same direction, the net force will be in that direction. If the forces are acting in different directions, the net force will be the sum of the forces in the overall direction.

4. How does the mass of the crate affect the net external force?

The mass of the crate does not directly affect the net external force. However, it does affect the acceleration of the crate, which is related to the net force through the equation F=ma. This means that a heavier crate will require a larger net external force to achieve the same acceleration as a lighter crate.

5. Can the net external force on a crate ever be zero?

Yes, the net external force on a crate can be zero if all the external forces acting on the crate are balanced, meaning they cancel each other out. This can happen when the crate is at rest or when it is moving at a constant velocity.