Do I Need a Capacitor to Smooth DC in My Power Supply?

In summary, Karl is seeking advice on building a simple power supply that converts 230VAC to 230VDC. He has already purchased a full bridge rectifier rated at 400V 35A and has questions about the DC output and the use of a smoothing capacitor. He is advised to be cautious when working with AC mains voltages and to educate himself on electrical safety and construction regulations. He is also recommended to use an isolation transformer and a linear regulator circuit for a better DC output.
Karl1411
Hi to everyone,

I would like to build a simple power supply, converting 230vac to 230vdc.

I have already purchased a full bridge rectifier rated @ 400v 35amps.

Q1) I would like to draw 5-10amps dc

Q2) Do I need to smooth the dc with a capacitor.

Q3) If So, what size and type of capacitor is needed.

Thanking you all in anticipations.

Regards

Karl

Learning

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Karl.

First, I have to caution you about working with AC mains voltages like 230Vrms or 120Vrms. This is very dangerous stuff, and if you don't know what you are doing, you could easily hurt or kill yourself, and it is easy to build something that catches fire.

Now, keeping that warning in mind, I recommend that you find a good book on electronic prototype construction, and read the parts about electrical safety and about product construction to meet safety regulations (like Underwriter's Labs here in the US). Those are fundamental issues that you will need to keep in mind as you start building projects that connect to the AC mains. Honestly, beyond the shock risk to you as you build the project, if you don't do several things correctly in the construction of your device, you may end up shocking some other unsuspecting person, or catching your house on fire some day down the road when the device fails for whatever reason.

Okay, I googled power supply construction tutorial, and got lots of good hits. Here's one example:

http://my.integritynet.com.au/purdic/power1.html

And to answer your question, Yes, you will need a smoothing capacitor after your full-wave bridge rectifier. The size of the cap depends on your output current requirements, and how much ripple you can withstand on the output. BTW, why does the link that I gave above use an isolation transformer between the AC mains input and the rectified output? It's an important Quiz Question!

For a better DC output, you would put a linear regulator circuit between the rippling DC output on the bridge output cap, and your DC load.

Stay safe, and please check out your local technical bookstore (or Amazon.com) for a good book on electronic prototype construction.

hi berkeman

Thanks for the info, will take note and learn a little more

kindest regards

karl U.K.

1. What is a power supply and why is it important?

A power supply is an electronic device that converts electrical energy from a power source into usable power for electronic devices. It is important because without a stable and reliable power supply, electronic devices may not function properly or may be damaged.

2. How do I know if my power supply is not working?

There are a few signs that may indicate a faulty power supply such as the device not turning on, strange noises coming from the device, or the device randomly shutting off. You can also test the power supply with a multimeter to check for proper voltage output.

3. Can I replace my power supply with a higher wattage one?

Yes, you can replace your power supply with a higher wattage one as long as it is compatible with your electronic device. However, it is not recommended to use a significantly higher wattage power supply as it may cause damage to your device.

4. What should I consider when buying a power supply?

When buying a power supply, you should consider the wattage, efficiency rating, and compatibility with your electronic device. It is also important to choose a reputable brand and ensure that it has necessary safety certifications.

5. How often should I replace my power supply?

The lifespan of a power supply depends on various factors such as usage, quality, and environmental conditions. On average, a power supply can last 3-5 years. However, if you notice any signs of malfunction or your electronic device is not receiving enough power, it may be time to replace your power supply.