* Using Lorentz transform to find velocity of rod

In summary, the problem involves using the Lorentz transformation to find the velocity of a rod moving towards an observer at the origin of an inertial reference frame. The observer notes that it takes a time T for the rod to pass him and sets the clocks to read zero when the front end of the rod passes. By identifying the coordinates of event E2, which is when the tail end of the rod passes the observer, the observer can use the invariance of the Lorentz transformation to establish a relation between the coordinates and ultimately find the velocity of the rod.
Odyssey
URGENT* Using Lorentz transform to find velocity of rod

Homework Statement

a person at the origin of an inertial reference frame S observes a rod of proper length l moving towards him at a speed v. He notes that the rod takes a time T to pass him. Assuing that when the front end of the rod passes the observer, the clocks in S and in the rest frame S' of the rod are both set to read zero. Using Lorentz transformation, establish a relation between the coordinates of event E2 to find the velocity of the rod. E2 is when the tail end of the rod passes the observer at the origin S.

Homework Equations

The lorentz transformation equations...and its inverse perhaps?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I identified the coordinates alright...here they are (I hope):
T is the proper time measured by S, so for E2, S measures (x,t)=(0,T).
Time is dilated for S' (rest frame of moving rod), so for him E2 is at (0,gamma*T)

So now I have to use the Lorentz tranformation...but how...? to solve for the velocity of the rod...in terms of l...and T...?

Thanks for the help in advance...I greatly appreciate it. Assignment is due VERY soon. Friend said he was going to help me but didn't. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
It x' = 0 for E2? Note: You want to set x'=0 for E1.

Once you've correctly written (x,t) and (x',t') for E2, what invariance can you use to relate these quantities?

1. How does the Lorentz transform help in finding the velocity of a rod?

The Lorentz transform is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between measurements of time and space in different reference frames. It can be used to convert measurements of time and space from one reference frame to another, which is crucial in determining the velocity of a rod moving in a different reference frame.

2. What is the formula for the Lorentz transform?

The formula for the Lorentz transform is given by:
t' = (t - vx/c^2) / sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2)
where t' is the time measured in the moving reference frame, t is the time measured in the stationary reference frame, v is the relative velocity between the two frames, and c is the speed of light.

3. Can the Lorentz transform be used for any object in motion?

Yes, the Lorentz transform can be used for any object in motion, as long as the motion is relative to a different reference frame. It is commonly used in the study of special relativity, which deals with the motion of objects at high speeds.

4. How does the Lorentz transform affect the measurement of time and space?

The Lorentz transform shows that time and space are relative to the observer's reference frame. This means that measurements of time and space can appear different depending on the observer's perspective. The Lorentz transform helps to reconcile these differences and allows for accurate measurements in different reference frames.

5. Why is the Lorentz transform important in physics?

The Lorentz transform is important in physics because it forms the basis of special relativity, which is a fundamental theory in modern physics. It allows for the prediction and understanding of phenomena at high speeds, such as time dilation and length contraction. It also helps to explain the relationship between space and time, which are two fundamental concepts in physics.