Algebra 2 Help: Rational Expressions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rational expressions and how they relate to polynomial functions. The question posed is why certain expressions, involving square roots in the numerator, are not considered rational functions. It is clarified that a rational function is defined as a polynomial divided by a polynomial, and since square roots are not polynomials, these expressions do not fit the definition. The conversation ends with the understanding that the individual may need to consult their old algebra book for a refresher.
Sparky_

Homework Statement

I have volunteered to help a friend's son with his Algebra 2 (thinking - no problem, I've had Calc 1-3, differential equation, complex variables, probability / stats and so on.

So I start to help and the first questions:

Why aren't these rational expressions:
[tex]
\frac {\sqrt(x)}{(x+3)}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\frac {\sqrt{(x-y)^2}}{(x)}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know if the square root wasn't in the numerator they would be rational - at least I hope I'm correct.

I don't know why they aren't reational.

Thanks
-Sparky

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, a "rational function" is defined as "a polynomial divided by a polynomial". What you give is not a rational function because [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is not a polynomial.

Ok - "polynomial divided by polynomial"

I was going to have to dig out my old algebra book. - in fact I probably still will have to dig it out to avoid embarassment.

Thanks so much!

What is a rational expression?

A rational expression is an algebraic expression that can be written as a ratio of two polynomials. It usually takes the form of p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomials with variables in them.

How do you simplify a rational expression?

To simplify a rational expression, you need to factor both the numerator and the denominator. Then, look for common factors that can be canceled out. Finally, rewrite the simplified expression as a single fraction.

What is the domain of a rational expression?

The domain of a rational expression is the set of all real numbers that can be substituted for the variable in the expression without resulting in division by zero. In other words, it is the set of all values that make the expression defined.

How do you solve rational equations?

To solve a rational equation, you need to cross multiply to eliminate the fractions, then solve the resulting equation. Remember to check your solutions and make sure they are not extraneous solutions, which occur when a solution makes the denominator equal to zero.

What are some real-life applications of rational expressions?

Rational expressions are commonly used in finance and economics, such as calculating interest rates and profit margins. They are also used in physics to model motion and in chemistry to calculate reaction rates. Additionally, rational expressions can be used in engineering to design circuits and in medicine to analyze drug dosages.