Math vs. Engineering - Jobs, Differences & Fun!

In summary, Math and Engineering are two different fields with different job opportunities. While Math majors can become teachers or work in banks, Engineering majors have a wider range of options such as working for the EPA or Port Authority. The main difference between the two fields is the focus on math vs. practical applications. However, it is important to choose a career based on personal interest rather than job availability.
php111
Hi,

What are the different jobs as for Math vs. Engineering? I understand Math could also be a teacher and work in banks but that's it? blah doesn't sound interesting. Where Environmental Engineering for example could work for EPA under the Feds, if you live near NYC then Port Authority as an Engineer. Now that sounds fun besides teaching Math.

On my thread here. Intergral has said why go for Engineering and not Math? https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=223471

Well it seems like Math jobs are no fun. What is the difference between Math and Engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first difference that most people notice is ...the salary. Engineers make lots of cold-hearts*. Engineering majors have to take physics, chemistry, and engineering electives. It's hard work! Math majors I think do more 'seat work' or 'bench work.' Math majoring is equally hard I believe. *By cold-hearts, i mean money. I can't believe you're looking this up!

Integral's point was that if you are truly more interested in math, why not study math? Don't do engineering just because there might be more jobs - if you don't like it, you won't do well.

Engineering is pretty broad, but in a lot of fields, there really isn't much heavy math on a day to day basis. I'm a mechanical engineer (HVAC) and I can't remember the last time I even used calculus in my job (I've had some needs, but always found a way around it via numerical analysis in Excel).

My sister took business and math at Penn State (not sure if it was a double major or what) and now works in finance in Boston. There are analysts and actuaries and other related fields that heavy math can be useful for.

1. What is the main difference between math and engineering?

The main difference between math and engineering is that math is a theoretical subject that deals with abstract concepts and principles, while engineering is a practical field that applies those concepts to design and create tangible products.

2. What kind of jobs can I get with a degree in math or engineering?

With a degree in math, you can pursue careers in fields such as education, finance, statistics, and research. With a degree in engineering, you can work in industries such as construction, aerospace, automotive, and electronics.

3. Is one field more challenging than the other?

Both math and engineering require a strong foundation in analytical thinking and problem-solving. However, the level of difficulty may vary depending on an individual's strengths and interests. Some may find math more challenging, while others may find engineering more challenging.

4. Are there any similarities between math and engineering?

Both math and engineering involve the use of mathematical concepts and equations to solve problems. In engineering, math is used to design and analyze structures, systems, and processes. Similarly, math is used to prove theories and develop new mathematical concepts.

5. Can math and engineering be fun?

Absolutely! Many people find joy in solving complex math problems and creating innovative engineering solutions. Both fields offer endless opportunities for learning, growth, and creativity, making them enjoyable and fulfilling careers for those with a passion for math and science.