Why didn't we see through dot coms, SUVs and subprime lending?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dot
In summary, the public is often duped by deals that seem too good to be true, and is urged to invest in things like oil, which is likely to burst sooner rather than later.
Loren Booda
What is next to watch out for in the world of dubious investments? It's usually a deal, "easy money," or consumerism too good to be true that the public flocks to. How can one gain insight to avoid getting caught up in these speculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's easy: tell your reptile brain to shut up.

Oh, and if you can figure out how to do that, let me know :wink: .

Seriously though, I can't muster sympathy for otherwise intelligent people who get caught up in get rich quick schemes. I work hard and play by the rules - it's a slow journey to success.

I think it's oil!
http://richard-goodman.blogspot.com/2008/06/isaac-Newton-on-oil.html

Last edited by a moderator:
"after us the deluge"

Of those who are paying attention to the world around them, who didn't?

As for oil: It is my peception that speculation is to a large extent driving the current oil prices, but the difference between this bubble and others is that the speculation is based in reality. There is a limited supply of oil with an even increasing demand. Most of the cheap oil is gone. The bubble will burst, but it will be back.

Based on some of my most reliable sources of information [news sources that I have leared to trust first in a pinch], crude should probably be around $90 right now. Many experts would probably disagree.

Last edited:
I agree with lisab, that I can't feel sorry for people who let greed overcome reason. Anyone paying attention knew those people were getting in over their heads (and you know there's really a problem when the people driving around $60,000 SUVs only live in houses worth $120,000 while working a job that pays $30,000 a year...it doesn't take a genius to figure out the numbers don't add up and they have bitten off more than they can chew in debt).

"Honey, I gained 15 pounds this last year---why didn't you tell me to stop eating so much?"

1. Why did the dot com bubble burst?

The dot com bubble burst due to a combination of factors, such as overvalued stocks, unrealistic expectations, and lack of sustainable business models. Many companies relied heavily on advertising revenue and failed to generate profitable income. This led to a rapid decline in stock prices and ultimately, the collapse of the market.

2. How did SUVs contribute to environmental issues?

SUVs, or sports utility vehicles, became popular in the 1990s due to their spaciousness and rugged appeal. However, these vehicles are larger and heavier than regular cars, leading to higher emissions and fuel consumption. This contributed to air pollution and climate change, leading to environmental concerns.

3. Why did subprime lending lead to the 2008 financial crisis?

Subprime lending refers to the practice of giving loans to borrowers with poor credit or high-risk profiles. In the early 2000s, there was an increase in subprime lending for mortgages, leading to a housing market boom. However, when borrowers defaulted on their loans, it caused a ripple effect on the financial market, resulting in the 2008 crisis.

4. What lessons can we learn from the failure of dot coms, SUVs, and subprime lending?

One of the main lessons learned is the importance of caution and realistic expectations in any market. The dot com bubble, SUV popularity, and subprime lending all had a common theme of overvaluing and overhyping certain trends, leading to their downfall. It is crucial to thoroughly research and analyze before making significant investments or decisions.

5. How can we prevent similar market crashes in the future?

To prevent similar market crashes, there needs to be stricter regulations and oversight in place. This includes monitoring and addressing risky lending practices, as well as implementing measures to prevent stock market bubbles. Additionally, individuals and companies should also be more cautious and responsible in their investments and spending habits.