Expansion coefficient of liquid Propane ?

In summary, The conversation is about finding the density of a substance under different temperatures and pressures. Bitman is looking for the density at 353k (448.9psi) and 293k(124.6 psi) for a liquid substance. However, the handbook only provides values for 1Mpa and 10Mpa, so it suggests interpolating the values needed. The gas values can also be used for the liquid, assuming it is incompressible.
bitman
Hi

Does anyone have a figure for this.

I've trolled the net for nearly 2 hours now with no success.

Any help or guidance much appreciated.

Bitman

Physics news on Phys.org
CRC handbook lists the density at various temperatures fordifferent pressures:
At 1 atmosphere (gas)
T (k) density(mol/L)
250 0.050
275 0.045
300 0.041
325 0.037
350 0.035
375 0.032
400 0.030
450 0.027
500 0.024

At 10 atmospheres (liquid)
T (k) density(mol/L)
275 11.962
300 11.102

Also note that at 1 atmos and tempertures > 0C that mgb's figures agree with the ideal gas law with at most 2% error. So if you are working in this range then you don't need to look it up, you can calculate it.

PV = NRT

with N and P held constant.

dV/V = dT/T

or dV/dT = V/T

Hi

I'm really interested in the liquid properties. I can do the gas stuff (mostly, when I get the sums right :-0 ).

I'm interested in the change of density between 353k (448.9psi) and 293k(124.6 psi).

I thought as it was a liquid it was incompressable thus the pressure didn't matter. If so it should have a fixed coefficient of expansion.

Your figures, mgb_phys, at 10 atm seem to indicate -0.288% per degree C.

So assuming the pressure change is inconsequential I'm looking at a reduction in liquid density of 17.28%.

Thanks for the info and the time.

Please protest if you think these conclusions are incorrect.

Bitman

The handbook only gives 1Mpa and 10Mpa - you can interpolate the values you need.
1Mpa
275 = 11.962
300 = 11.102
325 - gas

10Mpa
325 = 10.860
350 = 9.973
375 = 8.905

293K/124.6psi looks very close to boiling point

1. What is the expansion coefficient of liquid propane?

The expansion coefficient of a liquid propane is a measure of how much its volume changes with a change in temperature. It is represented by the symbol α and is typically measured in units of 1/K (kelvin).

2. How is the expansion coefficient of liquid propane calculated?

The expansion coefficient of liquid propane can be calculated by dividing the change in volume by the change in temperature. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the volume of a known amount of propane at different temperatures and then plotting the data to find the slope, which represents the expansion coefficient.

3. What factors can affect the expansion coefficient of liquid propane?

The expansion coefficient of liquid propane can be affected by various factors such as the purity of the propane, the pressure at which it is stored, and the presence of impurities or additives. Additionally, the expansion coefficient may vary slightly depending on the specific composition of the propane mixture.

4. Why is it important to know the expansion coefficient of liquid propane?

Knowing the expansion coefficient of liquid propane is important in many applications where precise volume measurements are necessary. For example, in the storage and transportation of propane, understanding how its volume changes with temperature can help prevent overfilling of containers and potential safety hazards. It is also important in industries that use propane in processes such as heating and cooling.

5. Can the expansion coefficient of liquid propane change over time?

Yes, the expansion coefficient of liquid propane can change over time due to factors such as changes in temperature, pressure, and composition. Additionally, as propane ages and degrades, it may develop impurities that can affect its expansion coefficient. Therefore, it is important to regularly monitor and update the expansion coefficient values for accurate measurements.