Hexagon Shaped Cloud on Saturn

In summary, there is a strange hexagonal weather formation on Saturn that has only been observed affecting the lower clouds. It is believed to be caused by internal convection currents and may be tied to Saturn's internal rotation rate. JPL has not provided a definite explanation for this phenomenon, but it is thought to be a result of fluid dynamics. Similar shapes have been observed in rotating fluids on Earth. Overall, it is uncertain whether this occurrence is extraordinary or simply a common phenomenon on Saturn.
dimensionless
Here's a picture of it

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/multimedia/pia09188.html

I found this very striking and am surprised that there has been so little talk about it. My best guess is that it has something to do with tidal forces being exerted by multiple moons. I'm especially suspicious about moons that have orbital resonance. I'm just speculating though, and am very perplexed by the odd shaped weather formation.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'd be willing to bet it has something to do with internal convection currents since it's only affecting the lower clouds. One thing that would backup this possibility is how JPL mentions that it may be tied to Saturns true (internal) rotation rate.

JPL doesn't have much to say about it (not even a possible cause) but they do provide a nice gif animation. You can see how the upper/outer clouds are unaffected by it.
pia09187-200.gif

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2007-034

Old news. I saw this years ago.

I do believe this is a shot of the pole. That's the crux. The hexagon is better described (coincidentally enough) in polar coordinates. It is simply a harmonic sinusoidal wave - the wavelength is a whole multiple of the circumference.

It's probably just another solution to the Navier-Stokes equation. Fluid dynamics can produce very weird effects.

Last edited:
Triangles, squares, pentagons... appear in rotating fluids, small and big which can be visible by inserting colors or dust. After learning that I could no longer decide is that big and unusual or ordinary occurrence on Saturn. Maybe it means that Saturn is not so chaotic. Here's one web link:
http://engineering.dartmouth.edu/~cushman/books/GFD.html

Try MATLAB files in cdrom package, chapter 10.

Last edited by a moderator:

What causes the hexagon shape of the cloud on Saturn?

The hexagon shape of the cloud on Saturn is caused by a phenomenon known as a standing wave. This occurs when a fluid, such as the atmosphere on Saturn, is confined by boundaries and exposed to a strong rotating force, resulting in a stable and symmetrical hexagonal pattern.

How large is the hexagon shaped cloud on Saturn?

The hexagon shaped cloud on Saturn is approximately 20,000 miles (32,000 kilometers) in diameter, which is about 2.5 times the diameter of Earth. It is also estimated to be about 60 miles (96 kilometers) deep.

How long has the hexagon shaped cloud been present on Saturn?

The hexagon shaped cloud has been observed on Saturn since the early 1980s when the Voyager spacecraft first captured images of it. It has been continuously studied and monitored by scientists since then.

Are there any other planets with similar hexagon shaped clouds?

No, the hexagon shaped cloud on Saturn is unique and has not been observed on any other planet in our solar system. However, similar patterns have been observed on other planets, such as the polar vortices on Venus and Jupiter.

What can studying the hexagon shaped cloud on Saturn tell us about the planet?

Studying the hexagon shaped cloud on Saturn can tell us a lot about the planet's atmosphere and weather patterns. It can also give us insight into the planet's internal dynamics, such as its rotation and potential sources of energy. Additionally, studying this unique feature can help us better understand and model similar patterns on other planets in our solar system and beyond.