Topology question; derived pts and closure

In summary, the task is to prove that A'=cl_x A \backslash A is a closed set given that A is a discrete subset of the reals. Using Thrm1, we can see that A' is closed if A'=cl(A'). Since A is a discrete subset, we know it consists of isolated points and therefore has no derived points. This means that A' is empty. Using Thrm2, we know that cl(emptyset)=emptyset, which means A'=cl(A'). Thus, A' is closed. However, a counterexample was presented where the set B={1/n : n in Naturals} has a derived point of {0}, even though it is discrete. To fix this,
Unassuming

Homework Statement

If A is a discrete subset of the reals,

prove that

[tex]A'=cl_x A \backslash A[/tex]

is a closed set.

Homework Equations

A' = the derived set of A
x is a derived pt of A if [tex]U \cap (A \backslash \{x\}) \neq \emptyset[/tex] for every open U such that x is in U.

Thrm1. A is closed iff A=cl(A)
Thrm2. cl(emptyset)=emptyset

The Attempt at a Solution

"Proof". Using Thrm1 with A' we can see that A' is closed iff A'=cl(A'). Since A is a discrete subset of the Reals we know that the set consists of isolated pts. Since there are no derived pts in A, then A'= emptyset. Using Thrm2 we know that cl(emptyset)=emptyset. Therefore A'=cl(A'). And thus A' is closed.

Does this proof work?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think so. Is there any difference between cl_x(A) and cl(A)? A' is closed because it's empty.

Well, a classmate pointed out to me that the set B={1/n : n in Naturals}, has a derived point of {0}. I feel like this set is discrete, yet it's derived points are not the empty set.

I thought I had this one. Any ideas of where I have gone wrong? My guess would be assuming that discrete subsets have no derived points but then what direction do I take?

Whoa. You're right. You caught me. I thought the proof sounded a little vacuous. So you want to prove that if x is not in A', then there is a neighborhood of x that does not intersect A'. If x is in A, use that A is discrete. If x is not in A, then use that A is closed. Can you take it from there?

What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric objects that are preserved under continuous deformations, such as stretching, twisting, and bending. It focuses on the spatial relationships between points, lines, surfaces, and other geometric figures.

What are derived points in topology?

Derived points, also known as limit points, are points in a topological space that can be approached by sequences of points in the space. They are important because they help determine the closure of a set, which is the smallest closed set that contains all the points in the original set.

What is the closure of a set?

The closure of a set is the smallest closed set that contains all the points in the original set. In other words, it is the set of all limit points of the original set, including the original set itself. It is denoted by the symbol "cl(A)" or "A-bar."

How do you find the closure of a set?

To find the closure of a set, you can first find all the limit points of the set. Then, add the original set to these limit points to get the closure. Alternatively, you can use the closure axioms, which state that the closure of a set is equal to the union of the set and its boundary.

What is the relationship between derived points and closure?

Derived points are a key concept in determining the closure of a set. The closure of a set is the set of all limit points of the original set, including the original set itself. Therefore, derived points play a crucial role in defining the closure of a set in topology.