Symbols Used by Mathematicians - What is a Vertical Bar with an Arrow?

In summary, The symbol \mapsto means "maps to" and is used when defining functions and performing map in mathematics. It can also be used to indicate injections or monic maps.
db1uover
What symbol is a small vertical bar with an arrow? I know a plain arrow is "determines". Is there a good site that lists the vocabulary of mathematicians?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you exactly mean that description as a mathematical symbol, I'm not sure; but (assuming the arrow head points upward) if it's a text symbol used in computer programming, your description would mean "exponentiation"; if your symbol is actually used in writing chemical reactions, it would mean "as a gas" when written to the right-hand side of a chemical compound.

db1uover said:
What symbol is a small vertical bar with an arrow? I know a plain arrow is "determines". Is there a good site that lists the vocabulary of mathematicians?

Hi db1uover! :smile:

Do you mean [itex]\uparrow[/itex] ?

If so, I think it only means "spin-up" (for spinors).

btw, if you're really into symbols, bookmark http://www.physics.udel.edu/~dubois/lshort2e/node61.html#SECTION008100000000000000000 :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Alternatively, the symbol [itex]\mapsto[/itex] means "maps to" and is used when defining functions and performing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_(mathematics)"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all. Hootenanny, that is what I was looking for, the mathematical verbage. So, the difference between 'maps to' and 'determines' is one is already in place while the other is being fleshed out?

db1uover said:
Thank you all. Hootenanny, that is what I was looking for, the mathematical verbage. So, the difference between 'maps to' and 'determines' is one is already in place while the other is being fleshed out?

Not sure what you are asking, but the difference between [itex]\to[/itex] and [itex]\mapsto[/itex] is best described by an example. So, say, the real function f(x)=x^2 would be expressed as [itex] f:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}, x\mapsto x^2[/itex]

cristo said:
So, say, the real function f(x)=x^2 would be expressed as [itex] f:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}, x\mapsto x^2[/itex]

Is this read as 'function f such that Real determines Real when x maps to x squared'? I'm out of school, but trying to remember standard math-ese.

I've also seen that symbol used to refer to injections. e.g. Rather than write [itex]X \to Y[/itex], you write [itex]X \mapsto Y[/itex] to state that the map is actually monic.

db1uover said:
Is this read as 'function f such that Real determines Real when x maps to x squared'? I'm out of school, but trying to remember standard math-ese.

I read it as "a function f from the reals to the reals that maps x to x squared", or more likely "a function f from R to R that maps x to x squared".

I haven't seen it used in Hurkyl's sense.

1. What is the vertical bar with an arrow symbol used for in mathematics?

The vertical bar with an arrow, also known as the "such that" symbol, is commonly used in set notation to indicate the criteria or conditions that must be met by the elements of a set. It is usually placed after the set and before the conditions, and is read as "such that."

2. How is the vertical bar with an arrow symbol different from other mathematical symbols?

The vertical bar with an arrow symbol is unique in that it is used specifically to indicate a relationship between a set and its elements, while other symbols may have a variety of meanings depending on the context in which they are used.

3. Can the vertical bar with an arrow symbol be used in other areas of mathematics?

Yes, the vertical bar with an arrow symbol can also be used in other areas of mathematics, such as in logic and probability. In logic, it is used to denote the conditional relationship between two statements, while in probability it is used to represent conditional probability.

4. Is the vertical bar with an arrow symbol commonly used in everyday mathematics?

No, the vertical bar with an arrow symbol is not commonly used in everyday mathematics. It is mostly used in more advanced mathematical concepts and is not typically taught in basic math courses.

5. Are there any other symbols that are similar to the vertical bar with an arrow symbol?

Yes, the colon symbol (:) is often used in place of the vertical bar with an arrow symbol to indicate the same "such that" relationship in set notation. However, the vertical bar with an arrow is preferred in more formal mathematical writing.