Calculating Doubling Time of Bacteria in Beaker

In summary, the question asks for the doubling time of bacteria given that a beaker contained 2000 bacteria and one hour later it contained 2500 bacteria. The solution involves using the equation rate = (distance)/(time) and the formula Time to double = .693/((ln(1+r))^t). The poster suggests using the formula P=Ae^(rt) to solve for the rate and then using that information to find the doubling time. They also clarify that the "rate" in this context refers to the rate of population growth, not the distance traveled.
stegz
1. Homework Statement
A beaker contained 2000 bacteira. one hour later the beaker contained 2500 bacteria. What is the doubling time of the bacteria?

2. Homework Equations
rate = (distance)/(time)
Time to double = .693/((ln(1+r))^t)

3. The Attempt at a Solution
rate = 2500/2000
My biggest problem is trying to find the rate, I used this at first, but think it is giving me the wrong answer. I know how to finish the problem, i just need help finding the rate. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
i would assume exponential growth rate here... use:

P=Ae^(rt)
A is initial quantity, P is quantity at time t, t is time of course, and r is rate

in the first part of the equation they give you enough info to solve for r, (using ln's which i assume you know how to do), now that you know r you have enough information to some for your solution. (it may not look like at first, but just think what happens after the initial population DOUBLES...)

good luck,
jared

"Rate= distance/time"? There is no "distance" here- that's not what "rate" means here!

If the bacteria double in T hours, you multiply by 2 for every "T" in the time: that is, for t hours, you multiply by 2 t/T times: [itex]B(t)= B_0 2^{t/T}[/itex]. you are told that B(0)= 2000 and B(1)= 2500. That gives you two equations to solve for [itex]B_0[/itex] and T.

1. How do you calculate the doubling time of bacteria in a beaker?

The doubling time of bacteria in a beaker can be calculated by dividing the natural logarithm of 2 by the growth rate of the bacteria. This can be represented by the formula: Doubling time = ln(2)/growth rate.

2. What is the growth rate of bacteria in a beaker?

The growth rate of bacteria in a beaker is the rate at which the number of bacteria doubles over a certain period of time. It can be determined by measuring the number of bacteria at two different time points and using the formula: Growth rate = (Nt - N0)/N0 x 100, where Nt is the final number of bacteria and N0 is the initial number of bacteria.

3. How do you measure the number of bacteria in a beaker?

The number of bacteria in a beaker can be measured by taking a small sample of the solution and using a microscope or a counting chamber to count the individual bacteria. This can then be extrapolated to estimate the total number of bacteria in the beaker.

4. Can the doubling time of bacteria in a beaker change over time?

Yes, the doubling time of bacteria in a beaker can change over time. It can be influenced by various factors such as nutrient availability, temperature, and pH levels in the beaker. These factors can affect the growth rate of bacteria, thus changing the doubling time.

5. How can calculating the doubling time of bacteria in a beaker be useful?

Calculating the doubling time of bacteria in a beaker can be useful in understanding the growth and reproduction rate of bacteria. It can also help in predicting the future population size of bacteria, which can be important in fields such as medicine and microbiology.