How Can I Calculate the Force and Distance Between Protons in a Triangle?

In summary, the conversation discusses a triangle formed by 3 protons, with known distances between two of the protons and an unknown distance between the third proton. The goal is to calculate the force between the protons using Coulomb's laws. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using the Pythagorean theorem to find the unknown distance.
jawo3
Hi,

There are 3 Protons (P) that form a triangle.
distance PA-PB -->15mm
distance PB-PC -->20mm
distance PA-PC --> unknown

I have to calculate the last distance and the forces between the protons by using coulomb´s laws.

I tried to calculate the force between AB and BC:
F1=1.02 E -24
F2=5.76 E -25

Now I don´t know what to do next? Can I use the a²+b²=c² for either the Fore or the distance?

Thanks
jawo3

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got a triangle with 2 known sides 15 and 20. The third side could be anywhere from 0 to 35 mm and still form a triangle. Do we have any more information to help us decide what the 3rd side is? Something about the forces, perhaps?

The teache or the problem didn´t say it but on the picture that I got it looks like there is a right angle, where Proton B is.

Well, that makes it easy. Just a geometry question, no physics involved.

1. What is the force between two protons?

The force between two protons is known as the electrostatic force, which is the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. It is the result of the positive charges of the protons interacting with each other.

2. How is the force between protons calculated?

The force between protons can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The formula is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the protons, and r is the distance between them.

3. Why do protons repel each other?

Protons repel each other because they both have positive charges. According to Coulomb's Law, like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract. Therefore, the positive charges on the protons cause them to repel each other.

4. How does the force between protons change with distance?

The force between protons follows an inverse square law, which means that as the distance between them increases, the force decreases. This is because the force is spread out over a larger area as the distance increases, resulting in a weaker force between the protons.

5. Can the force between protons be measured?

Yes, the force between protons can be measured using specialized equipment such as a Coulomb's balance. This instrument allows for the precise measurement of the electrostatic force between two charged particles, including protons. The force can also be indirectly measured through its effects on other particles, such as electrons.