Help w/Viewing Saturn and other stuff

• Thread starter mikeluvs43
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Saturn
In summary: She came with a 130mm aperture and 900mm focal length, along with a 10mm and 25mm lens and a 2x Barlow lens and moon filter. It's perfect for capturing great shots of the moon, but we couldn't get a closer look at Saturn with it. I'm wondering if there are any stronger lenses available to help us see it better. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
mikeluvs43
Hi all I just got my girlfriend a Orion SpaceProbe 130 EQ Reflector Telescope
with 900 mm full lengh

it came with a 10mm and a 25 mm lens
I also bought a Orion Shorty 2x Barlow Lens, 1.25"
and a moon filter

Saturday was her birthday It gets great shots of the moon
We tried looking at Saturn seeing it was out last night but can't get to close

We see it shinning like a star but what would I need to get a CLOSER look at it?

Or any other planets for that matter

(besides a new telescope)

Any strong lenses that will do me better?

Any info will be greatly appreciated on this or any other tips on neat stuff you guys and gals can think of

Thanks Mike

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Are you sure that you were looking at Saturn? You have enough magnification at your disposal to see the planet as a disk, though you may not see the rings very well because they are almost edge-on currently. If the telescope is properly collimated (shows faint stars as nice pin-points), you should easily see the disk of Saturn. If not, it's likely that you were training the 'scope on a bright star instead.

Welcome to PF.
mikeluvs43 said:
Hi all I just got my girlfriend a Orion SpaceProbe 130 EQ Reflector Telescope
No one's buying that, so give it up. I just hope she likes you enough that she forgives you for buying yourself a present for her birthday! :wink:
with 900 mm full lengh

it came with a 10mm and a 25 mm lens
I also bought a Orion Shorty 2x Barlow Lens, 1.25"
and a moon filter
A very good starter scope.
We tried looking at Saturn seeing it was out last night but can't get to close

We see it shinning like a star but what would I need to get a CLOSER look at it?
I agree that if it wasn't obviously Saturn, then it was probably a star. It is tough to see the rings right now (they'd just be a sliver), but you should see a well defined disk and some stripes, including a well-defined stripe down the middle (the shadow of the rings).

If you haven't already, you can use the 10mm with the barlow if conditions are good and the image shold still be relatively sharp.

LOL Russ
I have taken it over but it was for her, and she loves it and thanked me all night for it that it was the best gift.
She was still using her one her parents got for her when she was 10.
She is now 45.

So the intent was for her, but I have to say I am getting more into this then her.

But not my fault.

Ok to the Planet.

I didn't see anything big enough to tell if it was a planet or a star.
I understand I probably won't see the rings right now, but It was like the size of a pencil tip so I couldn't tell anything other then a shiny light,.

you are in PA?

Im In NJ

what are those 2 bright lights out in the morning on the east horizon right ahead of the sun?

I believe I read on of them is Venus?

And what is that light that is out tonight just as it was getting dark.
First light in the sky tonight.

My scope, (hum hum Her Scope)

is just a tad smaller then your set up there.

Dang , NASA no you got there scope?

mikeluvs43 said:
LOL I didn't see anything big enough to tell if it was a planet or a star.
I understand I probably won't see the rings right now, but It was like the size of a pencil tip so I couldn't tell anything other then a shiny light,.
Then you probably were looking in the wrong place. Saturn is no brighter than an average star, so you may have been looking at a brighter nearby star (Regulus, maybe).
you are in PA?
Yes, 20 mi west of Philly.
what are those 2 bright lights out in the morning on the east horizon right ahead of the sun?

I believe I read on of them is Venus?
Yes, the other one (further from the sun in the sky) is Jupiter.
And what is that light that is out tonight just as it was getting dark.
First light in the sky tonight.
There are no really bright planets out in the evening sky right now. The first thing you would see is sirius, due south at sunset.
My scope, (hum hum Her Scope)

is just a tad smaller then your set up there.

Dang , NASA no you got there scope?
I love my baby!

1. How can I view Saturn and other celestial objects from Earth?

You can view Saturn and other celestial objects from Earth using a telescope. Make sure to choose a telescope with a large aperture and good magnification for the best viewing experience. Also, try to view on a clear, dark night away from light pollution.

2. What is the best time of year to view Saturn?

The best time of year to view Saturn is during its opposition, which occurs when Saturn is directly opposite the Sun from Earth. This usually happens in late spring or summer, depending on your location.

3. Can I view Saturn with binoculars?

While it is possible to view Saturn with binoculars, it will not provide a detailed or clear view like a telescope would. However, if you have binoculars with a high magnification, you may be able to see Saturn's rings and some of its larger moons.

4. What other celestial objects can I see while viewing Saturn?

While viewing Saturn, you may also be able to see its largest moon, Titan, and possibly some of its other moons. You may also be able to see other planets like Jupiter and Mars, as well as star clusters and nebulae.

5. How can I capture photos of Saturn and other celestial objects?

You can capture photos of Saturn and other celestial objects using a camera attached to your telescope. Make sure to use a long exposure and a steady tripod to get the best results. You can also try using a specialized astrophotography camera for more detailed images.