Can Black Holes Have Hair in Higher Dimensions?

In summary, hair on a black hole would be extra charges that are distributed around the hole. The higher the number of charges, the more hair the black hole will have.
kuon
Does anybody roughly now the basics of why you can have hairy black holes in more than 4 D?

Physics news on Phys.org
can you? I wasn't aware that you could.

You can have hairy black holes, that's for sure. The question is that I don't know why. :(

kuon said:
You can have hairy black holes, that's for sure.
How do you know that? Any references?

kuon said:
You can have hairy black holes, that's for sure. The question is that I don't know why. :(

If you don't no why then you can't be sure can you? If someone says you can have hairy black holes why take their word for it?

I do recall that there are more black hole solutions in higher dimensions...ring solutions

so i believe this paper contains the answers you are looking for http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0608012

"no hair" in 4D means "nothing except"
- mass
- charge
- angular momentum

so what do you mean by "hair":
- additional charges?
- higher rep. for angular momentum?

Finbar said:
If you don't no why then you can't be sure can you? If someone says you can have hairy black holes why take their word for it?

I do recall that there are more black hole solutions in higher dimensions...ring solutions

so i believe this paper contains the answers you are looking for http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0608012

You are right, if I don't know why I can't be sure. :)

Thanks for the reference, I'll take a look at it.

About the hair of the black hole. Well I was talking about scalar hair.

I was reading some paper where they say they use a hairy black hole, with scalar hair, so I thought it ought to exist.

After writing this question I found this paper where they give some evidence of possible hairy black holes with scalar hair. I haven't read it carefully yet but that's what it seems.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-th/pdf/0505/0505189v2.pdf

I'm not familiar with the topic so I'm still a little confused about all together.

Thanks for the replies :)

If it's a scalar, then why would you call it hair? :confused:

In dimensions higher than four Einstein's Field Equations lead to singularities of dimension greater than zero e.g. black rings, and in general black p-branes. Obviously such a configuration must be described by its spatial distribution, in the sense of black hole hair.

1. What is the "No hair theorem loophole"?

The "No hair theorem loophole" refers to a concept in theoretical physics that suggests that black holes may not be completely "bald" or featureless, as originally theorized by the famous "No hair theorem". It proposes that black holes may actually possess some sort of "hair" or remnants of their past interactions and characteristics.

2. How does the "No hair theorem loophole" challenge our current understanding of black holes?

The "No hair theorem loophole" challenges our current understanding of black holes by suggesting that they may have more unique features and characteristics than previously thought. This could have significant implications for our understanding of gravity, quantum mechanics, and the nature of spacetime.

3. What evidence supports the existence of the "No hair theorem loophole"?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence to support the existence of the "No hair theorem loophole". However, ongoing research and theoretical models have proposed possible scenarios in which black holes may possess "hair" or remnants of their past interactions. Further observations and experiments are needed to confirm or refute these ideas.

4. How does the "No hair theorem loophole" impact the study of black holes?

The "No hair theorem loophole" has sparked new interest and research in the study of black holes. It has prompted scientists to explore alternative theories and models to better understand the nature of these elusive objects. It also highlights the need for more advanced observational tools and techniques to study black holes in greater detail.

5. What are the potential implications of the "No hair theorem loophole" if proven to be true?

If the "No hair theorem loophole" is proven to be true, it could revolutionize our understanding of black holes and the laws of physics that govern them. It could also have implications for our understanding of the universe as a whole, as black holes play a significant role in the evolution and structure of galaxies. Additionally, it could open up new avenues for further research and discoveries in theoretical physics.